E063 error

alesco

The service engine light came on once, and when I checked the code, it gave me an error code of E063. When I check the diagnostics, it is referred to as a 'small EGR Fault'. I had the service man clean the EGR valve, but about three weeks later, the same fault returned. If the error is considered small, does it still mean I have to replace the EGR valve, or is it something much simpler and less expensive to fix?

Are three ports in the EGR, small, medium, and large. Each has its own solenoid. The engine cycles each during coast down and looks for an RPM change.

The FSM says to check/clean the wiring first. If the problem persists but is intermittant I would suspect either a partly clogged passage or a sticking solenoid.

This code is also common on cars with modified exhaust systems. Reducing back pressure, such as when eliminating the cat convertor, reduces EGR flow during the test conditions, and is noted as a failure.

Bob Rich

No, just the EGR valve p/n 17112477 however it does not show up at GMPD so may be superceeded. Ac-Delco shows a 214-5004 but not a price.

Srange, looking in the 1986-1993 parts book, there is no EGR valve listed later than 1990. Anyone know how the EGR is handled on an "L'" engine ? My TranSport does not seem to have one.

Yes but where is it on the "L" ? I find no pipe from the exhaust, nothing like a silver quarter, and no mention in either the FSM or the parts book.

For the 3.1 engine the EGR listing is in section 6xx-C7 of the "Drivability and Emissions" section of the FSM, is also in C7 of the 88 Reatta Manual, 88 Fiero manual, and the 90 Boneeville Manual. There is no section C7 in the 3800 "L" section of the 92 TranSport FSM, it goes from C5 to C8.