Let's Not Forget

Howard

As I write this, the time is near Midnight, September 10, 2002. One year ago tonight, the World Trade Center towers stood majestically in the cool night of late summer. By the end of the next day, they would exist only in memory. Fire and rescue equipment stood at the ready, gleaming in the vapor lights of their stations. In less than 12 hours these metallic warriors would participate in the most courageous rescue attempt in American history. By days end, most would not return to the safety of their parking stalls. In Washington, some of the halls of the Pentagon smelled of fresh paint. The night?s silence broken by footsteps of military personnel on the ?night shift?. Travelers were finishing their packing for what they thought would be an uneventful trip across the nation. Their final destination proved to be eternity. Air Force pilots rested in their barracks, never dreaming that the next day they would be flying armed combat patrols over the great cities of America. Our nation?s President pondered over remarks that he would make to school children in Florida, unaware that events were going to take place that would define his presidency and his courage. Thousands upon thousands of office workers and captains of industry were awaiting another workday. Just another Tuesday filled with data entry, letter writing, e-mails, wire transfers, stock swaps, and board meetings. The things that keep corporate America going. Some of these people may have taken a few moments earlier in the day to witness one of earth?s daily art exhibitions, a sunset. Not living to see another, was not on anyone?s cerebral agenda. In mere hours, the men and women of the New York Police Department, Fire Department and Port Authority Police would be starting their mornings shifts. Some would emerge from September 11, 2001 as heroes. Sadly, others would never again see their children?s smiling faces or feel the gentle caress of their spouse?s touch. Air Traffic Controllers, the unsung heroes of that day, would also be reporting for duty in just a few hours. An occupation that is always hectic, but being hectic was nothing more than routine. They too would be called upon to perform a never before tried undertaking, a national Ground Stop. Within hours of the FAA command, the nation?s Air Traffic Controllers had brought down every plane in the sky and did so without incident. It is not known how many lives were saved by their effective action. Nineteen, perhaps more, unbathed, bearded, religious zealots put the final touches on a dastardly plan that would change American and the world forever. What a difference 24 hours can make! The banners are torn. The bumper stickers are faded. The flags are tattered. Portable signs proclaim ? od less Am r ca?. On September 11, 2001, most of us were stunned, not knowing what to do or say. A year later, photos of ex-Enron officials are plastered on the front pages. The hunt for the mastermind of September 11th has been displaced to the rear. Concerns over what to do or say have been replaced by, who is going to take little Cindy to soccer practice? While our lives have returned to normal, the American people are amazingly resilient, we must not forget the families of our fellow Americans who lost friends and loved ones. Their pain never eases. Join me in remembering those who lost their lives on that fateful day, their families they left behind, and especially those who gave their life coming to the rescue. Howard

Howard it is now about 5 minutes into 9-11-02. (your time in Tx) I have been watching TV tonite and saw all the horror again.

I sit here tonight with much sorrow (and much anger). I will never forget.

I join you in a salute to all the heroes of 9-11 - all 3000 of them.

I would hope that all the Reatta members feel the same way.

Charlie Baumann