Buick LeSabre Presidential Limited 1987

Dear Buick Lovers,

I have recently brought a Buick LeSabre Presidential Limited 1987. There is a number on the dashboard saying "189". I therefore wonder whether there was a limited number of such vehicles produced, and if so, how many?

Do anyone know that?

Martin

I dont know really there werent many. Is that a 2 or 4 dr. ? There are fewer of them than the rest. I dont know what the # means either. I'm just answering this because I know what its like to come here with a newer Buick and not even get a reply.

There was these versions - that I know of.

2 & 4 dr. Custom

2 & 4 Dr. Limited

2 dr. T-Type performance sport version based on Custom

Presidential not sure if these came in the 4dr. or not.

Then there was a Roadmaster that I forget whether it was based on LeSabre or Electra/Park Avenue. Im not sure of the years on that "Roadmaster" either but I've seen a few. Had the carraige top and a Eldorado Barritz kind of radiator grill thing going on. What else I dont know.

I've always thought the Presidential was the 2dr. coupe with the carraige top and the rear side windows blocked out. What else is different I do not know. It would have been an upscale luxury package , I assume ..?

Heres a site for you to visit. Stop by and see whats going on. Lots of LeSabre stuff there but no one has stoped in with a Presidential yet.

http://www.lesabret.com/

Thanks a lot for the answer! It's a 4-door car, hard top, with that textile cover on top of the hard top. I also sent an e-mail to Buick, but havent' heard from them. It is certainly a luxury edition, power seat, power windows, good HiFi with 4 speakers, etc. Who would you think would know how many of such cars were made?

Martin

I dont know who knows. There were quite a few "back in the day" though. All Limiteds were fully loaded. You might have "concert sound" right ? wonder what else made it a Presidential? I think the Carraige roof was a option that could be had on most cars. It was the rage back then. The Presidential would have been an option package. I just wonder what all came with the package. I've always wondered if they came with the touring suspension. Look at the sticker on the inside of your trunk lid. See if it has FE3 anywhere. Probably also has rear load leveling suspension, if it hasnt been changed. Does it have gauages or just lights? Does it have a mirror on the drivers side sun visor? Rear seat center arm rest ? Just whats on that presidential any how ?

Hi again,

yes, the concert sound is definitely there! I really don't know about the suspension, I'll check that. It's 6-seat car, where the center armrest in front can be flipped up. I can't recall whether there is a similar rear armrest, I'll check! What is gauages?

Martin

Dashboard - I mispelled gauges or warning lights. Like oil preasure , water temp , tachometer. The t-types had gauges the limited has warning lights.

I realized I contridicted myself on that "how rare issue. First day I was thinking in comparison to Limiteds and Customs. Second day I was thinking total # built. I dont know I was just thinking outloud (on the keyboard).

It says "concert sound" on the door speaker or somewhere right?

This Presidential edition doesn't have gauges (as I understand a graduated indicator) for oil, temp, etc, but rather a warning light which is either on or off. Regarding the suspension, there is no FE3 sign, but a FP3 sign. I haven't seen any concert sound sign anywhere. Now the Buick factory replied on my e-mail, and they are investigating how many of those cars were made in 1987.

OK maybe you could inquire of them what was involved in the Presidential package.

In my 1986 option code book FP3 was a 2.73 axel ratio. I do not know if this carried over to 87 though. I never realized this restriction when I purchased this parts book. Oh well it does list al the parts for my 86 though.

The key item in this deal is the "textile roof". This is a non-Buick aftermarket item that was probably installed by a trim shop at either the dealer's request or the request of the initial purchaser to customize the vehicle somewhat. Typically, those top packages have some snazzy or prestigious name plate on the lower sail panels of the top. Many of the ones for Lincolns have "Premier" on them in script that looks like it's off of a '55 or so Lincoln Premier vehicle. Others have "Roadster" or other car-type name of the past. These accessory/aftermarket tops have NOTHING to do with the option content of the vehicle as produced by the manufacturer, but they are usually on the better equipped models. You'll also discover that underneat the textile covering is a molded fiberglass backing that is pop riveted to the vehicle to hold it in place. That wide trim along the bottom hides the attachment area and further adds to the imitation covertible top look, as does the same thing at the top of the windshield.

Basically, they are a way to make a different looking vehicle and also provide the dealer with some extra profit in the situation. Some people like them and others don't. They tend to look better on some cars in certain color combinations than on other vehicles also. All a matter of taste and what you're willing to pay for, basically.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

But not all Carriage roofs are Presidential ? I was assuming the top was a option and the Presidential was a package that had that option. I did know they were installed after manufacture. But thats it ? Oh well

NTX if you click on remember me at the sigh in it will remember you. Thats what I finally did and I dont have to sign in anymore.

I wasn't aware of the "Anonymous" title until tonight. I had been being welcomed and acknowledged with each entrance into this forum since the format change and I relogged in then. I knew that it didn't pick me up in one of the other forums, but it started to in here (which someone mentioned had to do with cookies and such). Then, it recognized me in the other forums too. Things were going great, you might say, as they had been with the previous format.

What I did notice that night when I did those posts was that the number of posts on each subject since my prior visit were no longer listed . . . but I noticed tonight that they are now back.

I'm aware of the "remember me" item, but I suspect that if it remembered me previously, it can regain its memory too.

I also noticed tonight that the "Anon" situation has caught other regular participants too. That's what makes me think something happened that we had no bearing on. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Thanks for the advisory and I'll make sure my user name is listed before I make any more posts, and login if not.

As for the aftermarket top, plain and simple, it's not something GM did and will not show up on the option code labels on the vehicle. For those of you that thought the vehicle was something special, it is, but just didn't come that way from Buick (or any other manufactuer whose vehicle they might appear on). Call it "distinctive owner customization/personalizaton", if you will.

Enjoy!

NTX5467