boxcars

Jay and Pat

this brings up an idea i've had for years but with no luck. If we could get information on renting flat cars or box cars then we would have a cheap transportation method for sending cars across country. Ship it to a show and the fly to it. I tried several years ago thru the help of a friend that worked for BN at the time and he soon discovered that even with his small amout of "ins' " with BN that no rail cars could be rented on an Ad-Hoc basis.

Any idea???? I might even be willing to buy a box car or flat car out-right depending on details. ITS THE DETAILS that seem to be a big secret!!!

I don't know todays cost of owning a private RR car but it used to be quite expensive.$500.00 to cut car out of consist, a suitable siding necessary to spot car, $250.00 to $400.00 for 24 hrs.while at siding, unloading??? $ plus mileage, and same cost for return trip. You probably get better service using over the road transporters, with your PACKARD delivered right where the show area is. I have no idea what inspections and maintance, insurance, and where you would find a siding for it while not in use. May be you were just kidding about buying a RR car, and if so I took the bait HA

Jack Harlin

Not kidding about the boxcar thing. Less than 2 miles away there is a place where i could have one sided (if the train would ever stop there agin). BUT, from the costs u have indicated it sounds prohibitive. UNless maybe used to haul several cars. Boxcars ARE LARGE.

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure that you guys looked at this month Cormorant News Bullettin.

I refer you to page 7. I would like to know what you think about that artical.

I have no desire to rent a box-car.I thought that was a neat artical if true.

Next month we will be putting our Packard up for the winter and to do some maintance work on her. We sure had a good time this summer going to car show and car meets. We made a lot of new friends this year.

Most of them were Packard owners or came from families that were.

Wonders me why this company folded. Any way it was a fun year.

To Mr. Hartman

You are doing a great job as over seer of this site and I wish to thank you.

Pat