How to remove Steering Wheel 1927 Dodge

NZStuart

I took my car a 1927 Dodge Tourer for a compliance check which is required in New Zealand before I can put it back on the road. Was reasonably happy with list I've got to fix with no major items (I hope) King Pins need to be shimmed for too much vertical movement, rear shackles on front springs worn,  Oil Leak RHR Axle, needs tyre and horn to work (was working when I left home and worked fine afterwards)  and finally the reason I'm removing steering wheel top bush needs to be replaced.

I've got it this far but can't get any further, the two pins are slotted so I assume they should screw out but they just spin.

Any ideas?

Stuart

Steering Wheel.jpg

Hi Stuart, look below the hub  there is a large circular dust shield, painted in black. It is attached below the hub. Use a sharp square screw driver and tap the edges down and away from the hub. It is tight fit on the hub so be gentle and prevent distortion. It drops down the steering column. Now look behind (below) the hub and you will see two screws. Remove the screws and the piece you want out can be removed. The steering nut will be exposed. If you need to remove the steering wheel the attached levers must be removed. Remove the attachment at the lower end including the horn wire. Pull them  straight upwards. . The steering nut is not that robust so be careful when removing. Use a stock of aluminium block on the shaft to prevent damaging the threads of the shaft. Those 2 pins you show in your picture are fixed to a disc and must be anchored solid, so if they are loose, silver solder them  back in place. That is needed to secure the gadgets at the top..  DO NOT LOOSE PEICES , REPLACEMENTS ARE DIFFICULT TO FIND. Clean the rods of old grease .You may encounter problems removing the horn wire from the tube .Sometimes they twist in the tube and you really have to use force. The wire terminal at the horn button is sealed and is not worth dismantling. Just splice a new piece as near as possible to the button. "Observe" on the outer shaft there are 2 bronze bushings. Save the "keys" Replacements do not fit properly" Dodge Brothers  parts of that era are precise fit.                  In two 2 weeks from now I will be away for 4 months.

Cheers and have a nice day.