HELP! Will 1940 straight eight work in 1949?

A 1949 buick super needs an engine.<BR>I can get a running 1940 series 40 straight eight engine.<BR>Anyone know if I can use the 1940 engine in the 1949?<P>Thanks in advance.<P>Paul Atmajian

Depends:<BR>Is 49 a dynaflow?<BR>There is quite an outward difference between the two. The 49 has mounting pads on the side of the block, and the 40 block has a mount on the front end.<BR>The 40 block will not accept a dynaflow trans without changing the crank.<BR>49 parts are more easily found than 40 parts.<BR>There probabily will be more answeres forthcoming.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

The 48 up Buick engines had side engine mounts ,and you would have to fab up something to hold the engine. You can run the 48 up engine in the early cars by utilizing the front mount off the early engine. Jim is right on about the rear of the crank. The Dynaflow engine must have the rear of the crank changed to accept a stick tranny<P>------------------<BR>

Guest oldtimer

also if its a roadmaster (the `49) the engine size is different (320 vs. 248). i would wait to find a `50 or above if your car is NOT a roadmaster, because you can get the 263 that came in the supers and it is the same as the smaller 248. you need every cubic inch you can (i have a `50).

I just ran across the following items listed for sale in our North Cascade Chapter newsletter:<P>1949 Buick Motor - Complete (was running) $300 and 1949 Buick 3-speed transmission (looks good)<P>Seller is: Charles Cochran, Helena, MT<BR> 406-458-5658<P>These items might we worth checking out.

what would discourage me on the '40 engine is that it is a babbit pounder whereas a 49 up engine has insert bearings, so if that elder engine goes bad, then it means big $$$ for overhaul. My 49 too needs an engine & Im thinking about the later 263 also