fuel gauge needle

My fuel gauge needle on the dash has vanished. Is it the fuel gauge sending unit or is it the dash unit that has to be replaced and where can I get one thanks in advance AL STORRS

The first thing to check is the wiring connections at the back of the car since an open circuit (broken wire, disconnected plug, corrosion, or bad ground) will cause the gage to go past either full or empty depending on design.

You can test the gage by unplugging the sending unit connector and grounding the body side with a jumper wire. With ignition switch ON the gage should move full sweep both directions as ground wire is landed and disconnected. If it does, the sender unit or its associated wiring is bad. If it doesn't, it's the gage.

Couple of my cars have started doing this every so often. I believe it has something to do with current gasoline formulations. They're driven often enough and run enough fuel thru the tanks that the sender floats shouldn't stick. Unless the floats ain't floatin' right due to gasoline density...