New high zinc oil in the stores

Rivdrivn

Check out the many Lake Speed, Jr. YouTube videos as he has lots of information on zddp and viscosity levels.  Some on the Porsche Club of America website and a few other videos related to vintage vehicles.  The most interesting thing relates to the fact that zddp for a diesel engine is not the same zddp as for a gas engine application.  Plus many OTHER little side issues!  HE has his own YT Channel, "The Motor Oil Geek", too.

When he was touting the Driven brand of motor oils from the Joe Gibbs organization, I figured he was just trying to sell products he designed, at the time.  Now that he works for Total Seal piston rings, another layer of knowledge and information has become available.  Lots of interesting information!  In a video I found where he is talking with a vintage Triumph car guy, he mentions that prior to zddp's invention (for something other than "anti-wear on cam lobes") in the early 1940s, it was all on the base oils to minimize friction and internal corrosion, which is where the Pennsylvania Crude issues came from.

I would recommend doing a Google search for "YouTube Lake Speed, Jr. oil videos" and look at the playlists that come up.  He might be a bit hard to listen to, sometimes, but his enthusiasm for tribology is apparent.  Even a recent video where he live streamed with David Vizard and Andy, for about 2 hours.

As to viscosity, I used 20W-50 for many 100K miles in my then-new, later used '77 Camaro LT 305.  At 92K miles, I upgraded the cam and intake, discovering a total lack of any deposits in the lifter valley and on the bottom of the intake manifold.  My friends were astonished at the lack of "hangings" from the intake manifold, asking what oil I was using.  I told them (same oil as @OldTank uses) and they were impressed.  On cold 30 degree F mornings, first start, I'd hear ONE lifter tick ONCE and that was it.  When I later sent off for an oil analysis, that old GTX formula's composition had something in it I suddenly realized that was the same as the old "STUD" oil additive had in it, zddp.  About 1400ppm, as I recall from the oil check.  As it ALSO turns out, zddp is NOT just for cam lobe wear reduction, but crankshaft bearing wear reduction, too.  Lake had a video on that!

One reason to not use a heavier viscosity oil relates to the amount of power it takes to drive the oil pump with them.  When we put the 355 in my '77 Camaro LT at 525K miles, the "oil of choice" by the installer was Valvoline 30, which I concurred with.  Then, at the first oil change, I did the 20W-50 oil, only to discover a loss of the edge it had in throttle response off idle.  It just felt doggy, so I downgraded to a 10W-40 and the edge returned.  So I opted for 5W-40 Rotella T6, knowing it had a good bit of zddp, but not understanding the differences in types of zddp.  No problems, especially with a full-syn oil.

One thing about 10W-40 and 20W-50 oils is that being outside of the OEM regulations, they can usually have more zddp than a modern "SP rated motor oil, although there are sttll MANY foreign OEMs which require an "SL" grade oil for valve lobe-run fuel pumps (some older VWs, iin particular) AND WalMart carries a 10W-30 SL rated motor oil in my original brand.

The current Valvoline ZR-1 oil is also a high-zddp oil, in dino and syn versions, in 10W-30 and 20W-50 viscosities.  Oils NOT designed for current OEM Gas Direct Injection motors due to their higher calcium content!  Another issue.

Note:  The ZR-1 oils have been around for many years.  Just that distributors have started to carry it in more-mainstream selling locations.  The additive package is configured around the need for higher zddp oils in some engines.  Which is much better than buying one oil and adding zddp to it, functionally and financially.  Too much zddp is just as bad as drinking a case of aspertame-laced diet drinks a week.  "Poison" results, in both situations.

Enjoy your trips down the rabbit holes!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1