chrome strip top of door

Nice to have another area on the internet to exchange info. Anyone know if this chrome piece is interchangeable with the La Baron?

Do you by any chance have a part number for the piece you are looking for? I have a somewhat 'antiquated' exchange part list and I can look it up if it might be applicable. I'm certain you will hear from other TCA members with just the right info.<P>K.

Guest Stephen Lyons

It would not appear that this part is interchangable between the two models. The TC molding is Mopar #4483036-7 (right-left), & none of the LeBaron coupe/convertible variants of the equivalent part match up with that listing. Despite superficial similarities between the TC & the 1987 & up LeBaron convertibles, there is actually very little of the latter's body/interior hardware that can be painlessly substituted for original TC spec parts. Notable exceptions are the wheel lugs, windshield, stereo, antenna, & a good portion of the switches, controls, & instruments, + some other small assorted interior bits.

Steve,<BR>Regarding the notable parts comment - the TC windshields are quite different form the Lebaron ones. The TC windshields not only have the Pentatrident logo and better blackout edge cover, they also don't leak air and water like many of the Lebaron ones windshild companies have stuck in some TCs.

Guest Stephen Lyons

Larry, I agree with your comments as regards windshields up to a point. <P>It has always been my understanding that the A-pillar/cowl structure on the TC is the one area of the car that is configured the same as that of the LeBaron, at least in terms of dimensions. Therefore, theoretically, a Lebaron windshield should be interchangable with the original Pentatrident marked Sicursiv brand glass. This is fortunate since it is also my understanding that the supply of the original style windshield has long since dried up. The typical, garden variety used TC is, in my experience, as likely to have a non-original replacement as not.<P>Of my four TC's, two have their original equipment windshields & two do not. The two that don't have Mopar Safeguard replacements. One of these has an edge blackout pattern that is indistinguihable from that of the Sicursiv supplied glass. The other has that annoying "fading dot" pattern along the bottom, which partially obscures the VIN plate. Neither gives any indication of having to be cobbled into place, nor do they permit air or water to enter around the edges so far as I can determine.<P>I think some of the fit & leakage problems you allude to stem from two sources. The first is that besides Chrysler supplied windshields, there are numerous aftermarket, generic windshields around for the common Lebaron application. These clearly are not always as perfectly shaped as the Mopar product. The marginal quality of many such generic windshields leads to afflictions such as you describe in a wide variety of vehicles besides just the TC. The second factor would be the variability in the quality of the installation of any replacement. Especially with some of the mobile services, I have seen some incredibly slipshod work performed by the "technicians" these outfits can send out.

Steve,<BR>There still are a number of factory TC windshields still out there. I have about ten, and I know a few other people that have a number of them too. A "purist" would deduct $1,000 or more from the value of a pristine TC without the pentatrident logo, even it had the Lebaron factory glass. Of the people at the TC America national meets I have been to, it seemed that a large number of them with the non-factory windows had air or water leak problems. I have not heard of any problems with the factory replacement ones yet however. One of my 16v's has a non-TC windshield and it is the only one of my TCs that leaks. Unfortunetly, I bought the car with that windshield already installed. At some future point I'll put a correct one in. I would certainly encourage a TC owner to purchase original parts if available, especially if it is a low mileage or pristine condition car. If my daily driver (which is far from pristine) ever needs a new windshield, I would certainly get the non-original type and hope the installer puts enough sealant around the edges to prevent a leak!

Guest Stephen Lyons

Well, Larry, as long as we're already well off on this tangent to Robert's original inquiry, I concur with your last remarks, although I was not aware that so many windshields had in fact been cached by individual enthusiasts!<P>It so happens that the two TC's of mine with replaced windshields are "daily driver" types. If either had come with the Sicursiv glass intact, one of the first things I would have done was replace it & stow the original against the eventuality of needing it for one of the better cars.<P>As a new part, the Sicursiv sourced TC windshield was pretty dear to begin with, almost $1,200 at shop jobber pricing, let alone dealer retail (a new Chrysler made LeBaron windshield was less that half this figure, & of course, generic glass would run quite a bit less yet). The Sicursiv TC windshield could supposedly be had in all-gray tint, blue tint with blue shade, gray tint with gray shade, & green tint with blue shade. Only the latter was apparently ever actually available for purchase through the Mopar distribution system.<P>The LeBaron glass was available in Canadian & U.S. spec shading, & different #'s are listed for coupe or convertible, as well as for in the case of the convertible, for different model years (87-89, 90-91, & 92-95); I would guess that the shape & dimensions were not differing among these, but that the edge blackout style varied.