Penzoil Deal

nic walker

FRONTPAGE DEAL

Prime Members: 5-Qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 

Posted Yesterday by sprite23 at 01:10 AM
Amazon.com has for Prime Members: 5-Qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil (10W-30) on sale for $24.97 - $10 Rebate = $14.97. Shipping is free. Thanks sprite23

Editor's Notes & Price Research

Written by  SubZero5

• Don't have Amazon Prime? Students can get a free 6-Month Amazon Prime trialwith free 2-day shipping, unlimited music, unlimited video streaming & more.
  • If you're not a student, there's also a free 1-Month Amazon Prime trial available.
  • A maximum rebate of $48 per person, household or address (email and physical). 

Hi Folks, for some crazy reason I could not post on the forum - I completely forgot my sign in info or it doesn't work anymore - how can I resolve this issue - please help as I am listed as a newbie now?????

Also,   Is this  5-Qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil (10W-30) the most appropriate oil for my 90 Select Sixty with 44k please or should I just use the Platinum instead of the ultra and is the 10w-30 - I live in Richmond Va?  Thanks,  Nic

I hope the below is posting - i entered or copied and pasted the deal here earlier but I do not see it????

The oil deal is for Amazon Prime Members.............

Prime Members: 5-Qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 

Posted Yesterday by sprite23 at 01:10 AM
Amazon.com has for Prime Members: 5-Qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil (10W-30) on sale for $24.97 - $10 Rebate = $14.97. Shipping is free. Thanks sprite23

Editor's Notes & Price Research

Written by  SubZero5

• Don't have Amazon Prime? Students can get a free 6-Month Amazon Prime trialwith free 2-day shipping, unlimited music, unlimited video streaming & more.
  • If you're not a student, there's also a free 1-Month Amazon Prime trial available.
  • A maximum rebate of $48 per person, household or address (email and physical). 

An inherent drawback of full synthetic is that if you have a leak, even a tiny seepage- it will clean out the sludge, and make the leak more pronounced. That's what gives some the idea that "synthetic oil causes leaks". Fully synthetic motor oil is a precisely uniform molecule- unlike "conventional" oil, that is irregular in form, and globs together easily.

Think about it this way- many want the viscosity index and longer change intervals of a full synthetic, but in '88-'91 there were no oils like that available. While I can't see any real benefits of using it (other than it's viscosity stability) I would only use conventional motor oil in an engine of our vintage.

19 hours ago, 89RedDarkGrey said:

but in '88-'91 there were no oils like that available. While I can't see any real benefits of using it (other than it's viscosity stability) I would only use conventional motor oil in an engine of our vintage.

I would politely disagree.  Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974 and I started using it shortly thereafter in all my cars.   I did change from Mobil 1 over to Pennzoil once they introduced their full synthetic (based on the lubricant that they developed for the space shuttle main engine turbo pumps).  Yes, that first gen of synthetic used a petroleum-based carrier fluid, but ALL the lubricating and viscosity related components were synthetic.  I have had no issues with oil leaks that would not have appeared regardless (dried out oil pan gaskets, etc) and I have had the opportunity to pull open a couple of the engines after many miles and have always been amazed at how damned clean and pristine they look inside.  The big advantage with synthetics OVER conventional oil is synthetic's lubrication molecules can handle a LOT more heat without their lubrication properties deteriorating and the fact that it does not sludge up an engine.  

FULL synthetic oils have simply replaced the petroleum-based carrier fluid with a fully synthetic fluid.  This does not really change the lubricant's ability to do its job, but it means that NO fossil fuel was needed or used. 

Yes, synthetic oil is expensive but I can still hear my mechanical engineer dad saying, "oil is cheap, engines aren't" and this applies even with the price of synthetic oils.  

• Like 1