How I escaped summer's heat

Terry Bond

We just got back from a trip to Iceland!   It even sounds better than the 90+ temps here in SE Virginia.  Spent two weeks there touring around the country looking at the most amazing scenery I've ever seen.  There is a fabulous waterfall every mile it seems.  The landscape changes from lava flow to green pastures in a heartbeat, always with snow-capped mountains in the background.  Although narrow and twisting, the roads were generally very good and in good condition, with plenty of signs.  All you needed to do was figure out how to pronounce the names.  Excellent English is spoken wherever you go. 

It was someplace we never thought we would go for a vacation, but our son decided to get married there.  He and his new bride are great outdoors adventure types and Iceland was high on their "bucket list" of places to see.  They were actually married beside a beautiful waterfall wearing hiking boots with their formal attire.   Both sets of parents made the trek and we spent the two weeks in a summer rental home at the base of a beautiful mountain surrounded by fabulous views.

Yes - I did get to meet some antique car folks and see some cars!  They love American cars and there were Model Ts, As, and loads American Muscle cars and big Caddys, Lincolns, etc. seen.  We got into one museum and enjoyed a personally conducted tour, and met others at a car club storage facility.  They are active with probably about 1500 members spread out across the country and have regular shows and tours.   Once I get some pictures downloaded and recover from jet-lag (and get adjusted to the heat again),  I'll post a few photos.  

Have any others visited Iceland and met up with any of the antique car folks there before?   There were lots of Americans there during our visit, and of course while the military had a strong presence there, there was lots of interest in the American cars, many of which got left behind.

It was a fantastic couple of weeks and we really enjoyed the cooler climate!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1