How to regualte a 1955 Speedometer

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

My speedo is 10-15% fast. I think this is because I have put radial tires on, and the different size makes the tires go faster, compared to the original tire size.<P>Does anybody know how to adjust for this. I have heard that you can change the speedometer gear, but how would you know how many teeth to get and from where?<P>Or can a speedometer shop calibrate this on the car? I'm in the Chicago area.<P>Thanks,<BR>Scott

Tranny shop should be able to figure out, obtain and install the proper gears.<P>------------------<BR>Lee C.<BR>81 Electra Park Ave (350 original)<BR>83 Electra Park Ave (307 that wont die)

Hey Scott, I got the pkg....Thanks!!! <BR> As for the speedo gears, I recall Buick Farm having some of this stuff. Larger/smaller Dia. tires would mess up speedo calibration.<P> Drop me an E when you can!!<P> don55 smile.gif

Hi Scott<BR> When I use radials on my 55 Century (P22575R15 instead of 7.60-15) I use a speedometer gear out a 55 Special. The standard axel ratio in Centuries and R-masters is about 3.4:1 and in the special it is 3.6:1...this should get you within 1-3% and the gears should be available from your favorite used parts supplier (I recommend Wheatbelt).<BR>Good luck<BR>Willie

Thanks Willie, that sounds like something I can do myself, and is simple enough.Either it will work or it won't.<P>Scott<BR>

Willie,<BR> I tried to get the old speed gear out to count the teeth. Have you ever taken one out, while the trans was in the car. Seems next to impossible.<P>Can't seem to get the right tool on there and work it. I can get a socket on there, but once the ratchet is on it there is no room to turn it. OE wrench too big, crows foot, not enoght room for wrench either.<P>According to the parts book on the RM dynaflow, it calls for a 19 tooth gear. The range of teeth for all the models goes from 19 to 23.<P>I do want one with more teeth, right? The one you are specifing is listed as 20 teeth.<BR>You are also refering to a dynaflow model.<P>There is one listed for an export dyanflow model as 23 teeth. Please advise.<P>Scott