1923 buick mclaclan gearbox ??

James veld

James ,  Australian cars had the gear lever  and hand brake on the right.  My  Australian 1920  has right hand gear lever,  my 1920 roadster ( U,S )  has centre gear lever .  I didn,t realise this was still the case in 23,  as I had a 23 four cylinder back in the 70,s with centre gear stick and hand break.    A couple of 1918,s  I had,   had right hand gears and hand brake.  So 23 must have been the last year for right hand gear levers,  as I have a 24 gear box which is centre levers.

• Like 1

Hey Rod sory i havnt been in here lately ive been flat out in this car trying to get it finished for the next buick club meeting here in Australia. Yea the gearbox thing is weird especially for a Mclaclan non export vehicle. Sean did a great job doing investigdoings on my car finding the year exact to the month it was built. But the gearbox and the extra spare wheel carige has me stumped. As to why. Or were it came from. 

This  22 long wheel base chassis was for sale in Melbourne  not long back,  with the right hand  gear lever and hand brake.  I was very tempted as I would have liked the wire wheels,  But it would have been a 4000 km round trip ( 2500 mile ) and probably require two loads.  Also the engine is different between the  20 and 22 so there would not have been a lot I could use  for spares.  

As your McLaughlin is right hand steering  I think it  would have been built for export.  Cars came to Australia in a number of forms.  As full  bodied cars from both the U,S and Canada or as chassis and running gear only,   where the bodies were built in Aust  by a number of different company,s  and as CKD kits and assembled in Aust.  Less duty was paid when importing from Canada as it was a 

Commonwealth country.

The Aust government was encouraging local manufacturing so it was cheaper to import chassis only and build a body locally.  this resulted in bodies from different builders being a bit different.  My first car was a 25 standard which had been given the ute treatment as so many had.  I  picked up a tub and back doors from  a wrecking yard in Bathurst N.S.W.  but wasn,t  able to adapt them to fit as the top moulding  was at a different height on both bodies.

1922 BuickPG.JPG

1922 Buick.JPG

• Like 1