Super Stock II Wheels

I've always liked the design of SS II wheels, particularly because they didn't look like anything else from those other GM divisions. Wish I had ordered them for my '72 442.<P>They were orginally 14x7 and had painted rims with chrome trim rings. I've seen later versions (both OEM and repro) at 15x7 with chrome rims and no trim rings. Was there any year in which the 15x7's had painted rims and trim rings? Got a number from one of the services that catalogs wheels?<P>Thanks. I want to put 15x7's widened to 15x8 on my W-25 convertible.

Bolt-on center cap 15x7 were available 1973-75 on Hurst/Olds, 442 and special handling option. SS II were argent silver, SS III were painted body color. 1976-77 15x7 had snap-in center caps and same paint scheme and are easier to find than the bolt-on cc wheels. Trim rings were optional all years.

• 1 month later...

Hey, first time poster here.

My '72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible has SS II/III (body color) rims, which I think are original to the car.

Does anyone know if these are 14x6 or 14x7? Thanks a lot.

If original to your car they will be 14 x 7 with bolt-on center caps. One other clue to being factory installed Super Stock wheels there will be a clip mounted lug wrench provision in the trunk on the rh side ledge near trunk opening. Henry

Thanks, Henry from Austin. I'm in Houston by the way.

Where the heck is the bolt for bolt-on center caps? By eye-balling them, I thought mine were push-on, but I guess I've never really tested them.

Thanks again for the info, guys.

You are right of course. Last night, curiosity got the best of me so I pulled a wheel and checked it (from the back). I thought I'd find a stamp, but didn't. I took a rough measurement and the wheels are 14x7. Plus, the center cap is bolt-on (with little screws) in the back, and in front is in fact flush up against the wheel by the lug nuts.