Jacking Up a '17 Buick D-35

Guest Charlie Dill

Guest Charlie Dill

Any thoughts on Jack / Jackstand placement for wheel removal?  There's a thin bar beneath the center of the axle that I'm sure can't take any real pressure.  This is making jacking up the car very challenging.  I can take some guesses, but would prefer not to guess.  Here are 2 photos - one each right and left.  The left side I took with a flash.  That's my excuse for what appears like a very filthy axle.  Surprised me too.

Buick Jack Position Left Rear.jpg

Buick Jack Position Right Rear.jpg

I would place the jack on the short bottom leaf of the spring, as close as I could get to the bracket that holds the U bolts.

Guest Charlie Dill

Awesome replies.  Both the spots I was thinking would be ok were the ones suggested by Gary and Tinindian.  It's always about not breaking something.   I'm getting better at not breaking things that I'm trying to fix.  Thanks.

Unless you are looking at jacking up just one side, just jack it up in the middle of the axle.  You should not hurt anything.  That is where I jack mine up.

The rod that goes between the wheels is used to keep the axle from bending into a "U" shaped pretzel from the rough roads at the time.