Fuel Indicator Problem

First time I've seen this.<BR> Parked car and everything working fine.<BR> Next day start it up and fuel needle swings off the scale and stops when it gets to the temp. light.<BR> Where do I begin with this problem?<BR> Thanks for the imput.

Guest Dave Wyatt

Speaking from experience here, keep a close eye on your mileage or you may end up walking at the worst time. I've got one that does that from time to time, I suspect the sending unit.

I've got three that do this and all have started it in the last few months. These cars get driven about 100 miles a month, so they move enough fuel thru the tank that the sender unit shouldn't stick.<P>I think it's got something to do with current gasoline formulations.

Thanks guys...as soon as the chassis book arrives I'll know enough to be dangerous.<P> The car sat for 6 years. I wonder if the STP fuel additive was making it act-up?

Well,it's back to acting up again.<BR> Ron I'm going to follow your lead.<BR> The tank is coming off and I'm replacing everything...<BR> Thanks