Replaced harmonic balancer, now new problem

jerrykiefer

Just  replaced the harmonic balanced with a Dorman, also the crank sensor.  Car fired instantly and ran fine about 10 mintues covering about 5 miles.  At that point it started to misfire which lead to spuddering and then shut down.  Started it back up but very rough idle, if I tried the two pedal feather it would die quick by putting it in gear...

Thinking the coil module was getting hot, I put on good spare and tried it again starting with car cold.    A repeat of the previously experience to the letter.

Any idea what could be the problem?  Car ran perfect before the balancer wooble began..Tried to limb home from 100 miles away

before the sensor snapped about 3 miles out.

Can't think of anything else besides the coil module and that's not it.

I come up with nothing when I run the codes.

Hope somebody has an idea..

Forgot to add,  after the car sit for about 15 minutes it will go a mile or so before it craters again.   From dead cold it's go for 5 or so miles.  Could this be a fuel pump starting to fail??

Thanks!

Edited by jerrykiefer
add more info (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, jerrykiefer said:

Thinking the coil module was getting hot, I put on good spare

Only coils? What year Reatta (not mentioned, not in your Signature line) That could also be the ICM. What type- Magnavox or AC Delco? After that- I would recheck the HB & CPS.

Fuel pressure is easily checked. Schrader valve cap on fuel rail, install gauge, test KOEO and running, try to rev.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

The Delco has been in for several years,  when I swapped out the Maganox the car acted exactly the same, ran and performed great for about 10 minutes then the misfires and spuddering began befor it shut down, if i tired to operate it, after a normal start, if I waited 10 minutes or so it would start and you can drive about a half mile.  If the car cools you can drive in for about ten miles.  I get the feeling something is heating up and breaking down.  Only code seen is B440 which is an air issue.. No other codes.

Just replaced the harmonic balancer  and new crank sensor...Everything seems great..with them.

Edited by jerrykiefer (see edit history)

I would now check the fuel pump. The test wire is on the drivers side, a small empty connector. Jump this to +12 of battery, key off. Listen for pump running. Let it run. Install a pressure gauge.Unplug the regulator vacuum at the regulator, apply vacuum. There shouldn't be any vacuum loss or fuel in vacuum line (torn diaphragm). Dead heading the pump like this for 10 seconds max will test it's strength.

More info on this can be found HERE

Go through the tests and checks.