425 help please.

streets

Have a 66' Toronado, looking for the spark plug gap for Champion RJ12YC. Also could use the point gap. I would be interested in a Chilton or Haynes manual for this car, if anybody knows of one.<BR>And has anyone tried to put an HEI distributor in one of these?<BR>thanx in advance guy's/gal's. I appreciate the help.<BR>streets

Why waste your time with a Chilton or Haynes manual? Get a factory 1966 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual. It has a section specific to the Toronado and covers all other 1966 Olds too when the Toro section references common procedures. You can find them on eBay or thru literature vendors for $50 or less. It would be money well spent.<P>Plug gap with any brand of plug will be .035. Use a dwell meter to set the points to read 28-32 degrees of dwell.<P>You can put an HEI in the 425 but may get into aircleaner interference. Another option is to get either a Mallory Unilite or Pertronix Ignitor electronic conversion kit for your original points-type distributor. It will include the module and sometimes a coil that is tailored specifically to the characteristics of these units. They're easy to install and will make a world of difference in the car. If you go this route or HEI, open up the plug gap to around .040.

• 3 weeks later...

rockettraider is right. Chilton and Haynes manuals are not only nonexsistent, but you can't go wrong with the Oldsmobile shop manuals. If you go to <A HREF="http://www.detroitiron.com," TARGET=_blank>www.detroitiron.com,</A> or call (800) 893-8122, you can order the manual on CD to read on your monitor. I did for my '67 Toro. By the way, I'm trying to find front brake rotors for it. Any clues??

You are totally correct. rocket raider is a fantastic help on this site. Thanx for the web page for the manual by the way. I bought a 66' Chassis Service Manual off of ebay, and was really disappointed.<BR>As far as your rotors go, I have found 68'-76' Eldorado does the job, but a complete front frame/suspension clip off of one is a big help in the 66' application. Hope this helps, Welcome to the forum. <BR>streets

I appreciate the kind words. I've always felt that experience should be shared if it will help someone else with an old car. They've beat me up enough the last 30 years that I can say, "the voice of experience speaks!"<P>Just curious, Streets- why were you disappointed with your 66 CSM? Condition, price? There's very little else out there that can give the information those can.

I guess I should have looked for a 67'CSM, rr. The condition was not what the seller stated. Half the pages are not bound, just really abused. But the bad part is the Toronado isn't even mentioned. The riding height, tool #BT-6601 or mention of torsion bar adjustments is nill. Live & learn.<BR>Please don't leave the site till I finish this car. shocked.gif" border="0 . Your better than the books.<BR>Heres another one for you.<BR>Of course the stock drum brake rims will no longer fit the disc brake setup. The Eldorado rims won't match the rears.<BR> Are stock 67'-68' stock Toronado rims w/disc similar to the 66'?<BR>Thanx again man grin.gif" border="0 .<BR>streets

The disc brake wheels are indeed different. 1966 and drum brake 1967s use the same wheel. 1967 disc brake and all 1968-76 Toro/Eldo use the same wheel. The center spider is the difference. It wraps around deep on the 66-drum 67 wheel and is much shallower on the 68-later wheel. There was a chrome wheel option thru 1970. Some 73-later wheels have fewer cooling slots than the earlier ones, but if you're using full wheel covers, moot point. They function the same.<P>Every 1966 CSM I've seen has the 9400-9600 Toronado section. I think you must have got a bad one from an unscrupulous seller. The one I have is beat up and missing its covers, but at the very back there's 16 sections specific to the Toronado- probably 100 pages or better. Pages 3EA-18/19 show the carrying height adjustment and special tool.<P>You should still be able to leave negative ebay feedback on that csm transaction. You didn't get what you bid on. Try Paul Politis 717-987-3702, Fort Littleton PA. He's been an incredible source for me and always reasonably priced. As in I bought six sets of Olds Service Guild/Technical Bulletins from him for $100 including 1967 and 1970- which usually go for that much each.

• 5 months later...

Hei's are easy. Get one out of a mid 70's 350 rocket, drop it in and go!! I ran one on my 66 Toro when I raced it out in Carlsbad raceway years ago!!! The only way to go and they are cheap!!