67 425 into an 86 442?

I have a nice 86 442 with 137k. The transmission is shot and the motor is getting weak. I have found a 67 ultra high comopression 425 in delta 88 that I can pick up cheap. What can I expect trying to swap the motor/trans combo out? I have heard that the passenger side valve cover will not clear the AC box. Is that true? Will the exhaust clear if I use the 425 manifolds? Is the tailshaft on the transmission the same? If anyone has any info before I decide to buy the 88, I would appreciate it.

Wide-blocks generally fit very close to the A/C box on almost any A or G-body. Possibly you could use a set of the notched valve covers used in some late 60s-early 70s big block Cutlass to get clearance on the brake booster and a/c box.<P>If this 425 is a factory dual exhaust car, the LH manifold will NOT work in a G-body. The good news is, it is a rare item and worth a couple hundred bux. Salvage both the "S" casting manifold and all the transmission shift linkage from steering column to transmission. You could probably pay for the car by selling them. I'm not sure which big-block manifolds would fit that chassis. Are you going true duals or keeping the crossover pipe and converter? A non-dual 425 LH manifold MAY work in this app if you keep the crossover pipe. It exits toward the center of the manifold. The DE "S" manifold exits at the back and kicks up to clear the steering box. I think you'll need a 75-76 455 RH to get the correct exit angle. <P>1967 transmissions have switch-pitch torque converters. You'll either have to get a non switch-pitch converter or rig up a switch on the throttle linkage to activate it. Turbo 400 and Turbo 200-4R are overall about the same size and length. You might have to change the front driveshaft yoke to use the 400 trans in this car.<P>So- you see it might require a little ingenuity and fabrication, but it would be a fun car.

Well I bought the Delta 88. It is almost too nice of a car to part out. It has no rust and a straight body. It even has the original AM radio. I would be interested in selling the body if anyone is interested.

I have not put much thought into the exhaust, but I will probably run true duals. Is the switch pitch a good converter or would I be better off changing it out?

cool.gif" border="0 <BR>I have a 67 Olds 88 w/ a 425, and would be interested in some parts off of your de-engined vehicle. Specifically, if your engine had the dual manifolds, I would like them. <P>Most pressing, I need the fuel tank sending unit - I need to locate and install one prior to a trip that I must begin no later than Saturday morning early.<P>Contact me at kbetts3851@aol.com_ASAP - I am searching in other directions for the fuel tank sending unit - I hope to have it by Friday (6/5) at the very latest.<P>I might also be interested in some other parts from your car, if you are interested, please contact me.<P>Thanks, Kevin<BR>kbetts3851@aol.com-NoSpam (leave NoSpam off if you write, of course)