F & R axles, Big car, odd, for low floors 20s to 32?

F&J

Very odd set of matching axles, the drums are huge diameter, 12 or 13?,  Six bolt pattern, uses bolts, not nuts.  Front axle is around 3" tube.

Rear axle has a tipped center section to bring the driveshaft as low as possible for much lower floors.  I thought that was something done around 31-32, but the tube axle seems older technology. 

Belongs to a friend, and more info or pics will be late next week on removal from dark barn.  Thanks

DSCN0911.thumb.JPG.8b84c779b061140494d87262bd01ea5f.JPG

DSCN0910.thumb.JPG.d78415a6306ce1a035b027793ed91c5a.JPG

13 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

See if you can work out the ratio of the diff. Might give a clue to whether it is a commercial of some sort. Maybe a low floor bus?  Hydraulic brakes - so could be later 1930s maybe?  Tube axle - Chrysler product??

I have had Mopar tubes, but this is straight in center, not "wavy tube axle" as some call those..

I think keiser31 figured it out, or gave info to ID it.  I posted a picture of what I thought was a 33 chevy steering wheel right next to the axles, and he recalled it was a Hup, then narrowed it down to a 32 pic with a perfect detail match.  In that thread I said the Hup makes sense as the deceased owner of the collection did have a "big 32 Hup" from what I was told.  Also, there is a large flathead straight 8 in the other end of the room.  It is not LaSalle like this collector had, so it might well be a big Hup. 

Like I mentioned somewhere, 32 Nash bigger series did the low driveshaft for lower floor, so that date also fits with the steering wheel ID.  I cannot find a pic of a 32-8 cyl Hup chassis so far, only the 6.  I am sure keiser cleared a path to ID these axles.  The brake drums with feeler gauge holes, look to be from that period also.

That rear in a Nash, one member that rebuilt one, called it a worm drive, and I've read that these rears can be hard to find if good.  We are trying to keep it from being scrapped.,  Thanks

39 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Hydraulic brakes

I took the pics in a pitch black room, I could not tell what brakes it had in person in dark with no flashlight...  On my other thread, I said the drums all have a opening window for a feeler gauge to check shoe-to-drum specs.  That is a Midland Steeldraulic feature....cable brakes with one large circular brake shoe that is self energizing.  I need to look up Hup 8 chassis specs in the Kimes/Clark big book, to help confirm if Hup 8 had Midland  (if that what it turns out to be when we drag them out next week)

18 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

A '32 Hupp 8 would be a rare thing.

If it is one, maybe the engine might also be needed by someone

Thanks

update, the straight 8 flathead engine must be to this car.  The casting date:  3-11-32 F

The F is the model?  The F shows up only in 1932 in the Kimes/Clark big book as a mid length 8 chassis model, around 122" I think.

engine has a freewheel trans..so that is around 32-ish,  too