First Date in a "66 Riviera

60FlatTop

I have been flashing this recently scanned picture  so I figured telling the story around it might be fun.

014.jpg.591158e177f4598542fec5ca81f4a92c.jpg

That's a Novemberish shot and I would have turned 26 at the end of September (that will make the astrologists go "that explains a lot"). I was working the swing shift at a power plant as relief man. I only worked one day shift a week, Saturdays. So I was always around town during the day hanging out at the coffee shops, working on cars, or at the junkyard I still stop in a couple times a week.

Most of my life was on the schedule and a lot of people around town think I never worked a day in my life. Anyway Dave Donelly, in the video below, drove tow truck at the yard and played music. He was about 30 at the time.

There was a freshly graduated college girl serving coffee in the doughnut shop my friend Vinny ran on Main St. She was blonde and taller than me and I'd sit there and steal minutes talking about English literature. I told here about The Dickens Restaurant where they had a roast beef diner for $4.25 on Saturday night and managed to awkwardly make a date.

Picked her up in that Riviera I was driving because my ;68 was being painted.

After dinner I took her to the Irondequoit Steak House wher Dave was playing with his band. We walked in the back room where the stage was, her with long blonde hair looking like a real Hippy and me looking like Jack Black's taller brother in cowboy boots. The music stopped and Dave announced "Here's our friends from Brockport!"

Poor girl never had a chance, just swept off her feet.

Here's Dave a couple years before he passed away. Kinda goes with the picture.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 6