'39 Special kingpin problem

Roger7

Hey everyone- we have a '39 buick with a problem in the driver-.side kingpin. Its not loose but has a "hard spot" where it doesnt turn easily. this is with tie-rod detached.

Also, it won't take grease. one mechanic who worked on it, put heat on it and tried a bunch of stuff, and its still the same. I read in an old post that the grease can turn

hard as a rock, which is what i thought it was. we have tried getting some penetrating type stuff in there with grease fitting removed, and so far, no luck but may take time.

also read some old posts that seem to say that replacing the kingpin involves pressing in new bushings and reaming them to fit kingpin? do they make anything thats like

pre-fit?  hoping we can free up old one since its not loose. any advice is appreciated! -  Roger7

Roger7, I don't know what would cause the hard spot unless there's a set screw there that's binding because the king pin is trying to rotate instead of the spindle rotating around the king pin.  I'm surprised the heat didn't loosen it up.

I've never heard of a prefit bushing  for these.  But, if you have a local auto shop that's been around for a while, they would have a king pin reamer and would fit it up for you. It's also easy to do yourself.  You can find king pin reamers on eBay - you need to know the size.

Maybe others will have some more helpful advice for you.  Good luck - Joel

• Like 1

thanks pont35cpe and joel for the insights. it does sound like the set screw may be binding,(maybe loose or worn?) should be able to see

if king pin is trying to turn i think. sounds like removing it to work on may be next step. not sure how thats done but will figure it out

when i see it again( its a close friend's car). btw, its only the lower fitting that won't take grease; and is causing some steering quirks.

well, if it does need replacing, sounds alot more do-able now+ i get to buy a new tool! should be checking it out again in a few days +i'll let you

know how that goes. thanks for the help---  Roger7

• Like 1