1938 Special Throttle linkage

Guest searle1965@gmail.com

Driving the car and suddenly the gas pedal falls to the floor. Pull car over and see linkage has disconnected, no big deal. Adjust idle a little high and limp car home ( I'm out in the sticks so no real problem). Get home and see that the problem is that whatever material connects the two linkages (looks like some kind of rubber) finally broke. Two questions; where do you get this strange material and how on earth do you get in there to fix it? I can't reach it from the top or bottom!

Tyler

Mine did the same thigh driving home from a show years ago. I used the dash throttle to drive about 25 miles home. I used the flexible isolator material from an universal exhaust hanger which I cut and drilled to the same shape as the original.  That material is a fabric/rubber laminate and as strong as the original and has worked flawlessly for over 10 years so far. You have to remove the pedal linkage to make the repair.

Steve D

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone. A friend with smaller hands and more agility is going to attempt the repair. All the tips are much appreciated.

Tyler