Beech Creek Truck

I just read your article on the Beech Creek trucks in the March-April issue of Antique Automobile. Neat story! I grew up in Mansfield PA and my grandfather was a dairy farmer there. I'd be interested in following up the lead of who the farmer in Mansfield was that bought the truck. Some of the family might still be around and it would be great to find their story.  There is an active historical group in Mansfield that might help me track any info available. Do we have a name of the Farmer?

Stu Allen AACA #021600
Staunton VA

23 hours ago, Stu Allen said:
I just read your article on the Beech Creek trucks in the March-April issue of Antique Automobile. Neat story! I grew up in Mansfield PA and my grandfather was a dairy farmer there. I'd be interested in following up the lead of who the farmer in Mansfield was that bought the truck. Some of the family might still be around and it would be great to find their story.  There is an active historical group in Mansfield that might help me track any info available. Do we have a name of the Farmer?

Stu Allen AACA #021600
Staunton VA

Hi Mr. Allen,

Glad you liked the article. Thanks for reading!

I was unable to find a name in my research. The 1970s Antique Automobile article on the truck references the "Mansfield Dair Company" as having bought a truck in 1916 and that Ziba Hitt (Beech Creek test driver since 1915) moved to Mansfield when the truck was sold to the dairy. He drove it until it was scrapped in 1921. A 1967 newspaper article mentions the firm was acquired by the Dairymen's League in 1921. It mentions another truck being purchased by a Blanchard area farmer by the name of James Smith.

It would be exciting to find out if your grandfather owned one of the trucks. Good luck with your hunt and be sure to keep us updated!

-Matthew Hocker