1928 128" light control lever removal

dracenroc

I'm still working on my steering wheel, need to replace/find a stationary bracket to fix the whole thing with the two screws on the hub. Right now every time I'm adjusting the spark control, throttle control or switch the light control lever the complete thing turns since its not fixed on the steering column.

How can I remove the light control lever from the tube?

I removed the screw fixing the horn button part, pulled a few inches and loosened the horn button wire. The light control lever is still sitting on the light control tube. Pulling the lever just pulled the shaft out. (then the pressure on the spark control gear clamp sitting on the other end of the shaft went off, because the inner shaft was pulled out and the gear felt to the ground, but thats a different story...:wacko:)

Can I just use some more force to pull the lever from the shaft, probably  with a puller, or is there a trick how to separate shaft and control lever?

Werner

IMG_1870.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 1 month later...

Short follow up: I removed the complete light control tube again and tried to remove the light lever on the bench, no success. Must be some kind of a press fit, even soaking in rust remover, heating and cooling didn't help. So I surrendered, I didn't want to brake it apart applying to much force....

58f5c3d5356b2_HornButtonIV.thumb.jpg.d77f2a4dcf20acc95795ad1fb251bc0a.jpg

58f5c3eaf16b5_HornButtonII.thumb.jpg.cce9dd4189b4514faf88725fd42718ec.jpg

Removed all the stuff from the steering wheel hub I decided to make a self-made stationary bracket. Just a simple thing, bent two brass brackets (by try and error method!) and fixed them to the stationary tube with a stainless-steel clamp.

It works fine. Will not last for the next 90 years, but neither do I:lol:

58f5c60a91a19_StationaryBracket.thumb.jpg.49da48eab8e7f40bdae566d07bef3f31.jpg