Volier & Fils brass horn

Tom Burtch

This brass horn is about 5.75 inches from face of the front opening to the flat rear side of the mounting bracket.  The front opening is round and about 6 inches O.D.  The stamp on the horn indicates that it was made by VOLIER & FILS, PARIS and the model is COURRIER 910.

The horn also has a paper tag with hand written note indicating 1910 Buick Model F, but I don’t think this is the correct application (let me know).

This horn could have been on a European vehicle (since it was made by a company in Paris) although I found by a Google search that Pierce Arrow used Volier & Fils horns (model 810 Dragon) on the Great Arrow cars, so it may have been from a US vehicle.

Thanks for any input on the original application.

DSC03785.JPG

DSC03786.JPG

DSC03788.JPG

DSC03793.JPG

I'm certain it's not specific to a 1910 Buick.  It might be difficult to determine if it was ever supplied original equipment to a particular vehicle. Horns were one of those items that people bought and put on their cars according to preference, often going for "bigger is better" on early cars.  There were a lot of aftermarket horns available and I have early catalogs filled with all kinds of them.  This was a popular good quality French made horn widely imported into the USA.  I hate to use the terminology "generally speaking" but in this case it seems the early horns used on smaller cars were open front like this, while larger cars used a bug-screen over the front of them.  I guess when you went faster you sucked up more bugs!  I'm thinking the horn is actually a bit earlier in 1910 and made for a smaller car.   I'll be conducing a Brass is Beautiful seminar at Philly this year and will have some info on horns in my powerpoint slides.   It's a great thing to collect and I have a few unusual ones in my display case.  I enjoy them as most are modestly priced and the swap meet at Hershey offers a good selection.  Bargains still surface in antique shops too.   Enjoy it.

Terry