Paper air filter insert

Erik

There have been quite a few questions about this if you wanted to do a search for paper filter and you will get 449 replys.  Makes for interesting reading.  My question is why you want to change to an inferior system.  Properly serviced the oil type filter is as good a you can get.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Sorry Tinindian, I did initialy do a search but got 0 results :-) Ok I just did a little more searching but didn't find a useful answer.

Why do I want to change? I have heard a lot about modern paper giving better air flows and better performance. I do know my car is postwar but you prewar guys seem to know more about the 320 I8. I would love to get more mpg than 10. I thought it would be nice to try it out.

Living in Europe I can not go to the store and look at different filters but must reguest for a certain make/model

Go back to the beginning  (home) and search.  There are449 threads.  The modern paper filters do not filter as well and are generally more restrictive.  Some one in one of those threads has probably located a filter that will work.  They are an interesting read anyway.  My 53 Special gave about 10 mpg in town and 15 on the highway at a steady 70mph.

Erik,

My 1940 Super has a copper mesh oiled filter. I wanted to use a paper filter so I measured the inside and outside diameters and height and referred to this website:                                     

http://www.wixfilters.com/lookup/FilterBySize.aspx?catid=1&styleid=1

I was able to get a number for a paper filter of the same size. Once I had the WIX number I did a search online and found the equivalent from another manufacturer  I was able to order.  I think the car runs better with the paper filter and I still have the cleaned mesh one if I want to put it in for show. 

Good Luck,  Tom

• Like 3