1965 442?

Short of having the original broadcast sheet it won't be easy. There's nothing in the VIN to distinguish a 442 from a Cutlass or F85 those years. <P>The best way I know of is to check some date codes and see if they match the car's build date, remembering that engines, transmissions etc were usually made a few weeks prior to actual car build. Also remember they aren't necessarily Julian calendar dates- often they will be the day of the year the stuff was made, as in 095 would be 95th day of the production year, 135 the 135th etc.<P>Engine- look at the back of the engine near the distributor. There will be a 3-digit code that is the day the engine block was cast.<P>Automatic Transmission- code will be stamped into the servo cover with 65NJXXX(D) or (N). 65= 1965, NJ is 442 trans code. XXX is date code and Day or Night shift. Will be a 2-speed electric downshift Jetaway.<P>Manual trans- should be a Muncie. Look for a 4 digit code stamped in the right side of the case near the tailshaft extension. First 2 letters will be month, last two wil be date of the month. Pays to remember that some 3-speed 65s were built.<P>Look for obvious tip-offs like the 1/4 panel scoop alignment and placement and 442 emblems, which should be on the scoops, the tail panel, the dash and the grille. Car should also have heavy duty boxed frame and wheels, and you know about the sway bars- big one in front and swaybar and boxed control arms in the rear.<P>The good news is that most cloning is done to duplicate W30 cars. 65s aren't totally immune form it, but I've never seen a cloned 65.

Just been informed that most 65s did not have the HD boxed frame, though the 3-speed 65 post I had, had it. Maybe because the original selling dealer was known to be prone to overkill on their performance sales. Henry's right, post cars were available in both F85 and Cutlass series.