Upholstry Kits

I have a 73 Delta 88 convertible. The seats are getting old and I would like to find a cost effective way to fix them up. Unfortunately, the only kits I have been able to find are the Autocraft kits in a JC Whitney catalog. Does anybody have any experience with these kits(they look kind of cheap)? Or, do you know where I might be able to find a better alternative?

A couple years back that vinyl (which I think was called Oxen grain) was still easy to find at trim shops. Even the Cranberry Red which I had was available. If you can't find the Oxen, GM's Madrid or Doeskin grain vinyl looks nice in these cars too and both those are common as dirt.<P>I think you'd be better satisfied getting a good trim shop to stitch your seats if you're trying to duplicate the factory pattern at all. You'll be able to get heavier weight vinyl too which will last longer- important in a ragtop.

Yea, those after market kits are going to be cheap. They are also plain straight evenly spaced pleats that just simply dont belong in such a fine car. grin.gif" border="0 They will doubtfully fit like a glove. My 75 Royal convertable has fairly decent white interior but its got a few stains and doesnt clean up to be clean looking. Good enough for now. Very unusual soft leathery looking vinyl.

Limited, your vinyl is the Doeskin grain I referred to earlier. Very smooth grain in a satin finish and one of the best vinyls Olds ever used IMHO. It's tough, soft and looks good for years.<P>This is a drastic step, but have you tried lacquer thinner to clean off the stains? My CC wagon has light gray vinyl seats which also stain very easily and every so often I have to swipe them with the stuff.<P>Delta 88, be aware that there was a running change in the 1973 convertible seat pattern early in the model year. They changed from using 14 trim buttons in the backrests to 10 with corresponding change in pleats.

The previous owner thought they were leather, I said no but he insisted and the price was right so I really didnt care but I could tell by one of the small cuts on the back seat as well as looking at it. That material would make you look really close though.<P>I'm afraid to use lacquer thinner and have been thinking about that paint they talk about in the Fisher body manual. I'll go see a local upholstry shop first for advise and maybe some under seat stiching. Theres a few seams looking weak.