information about 48 olds

i just recently run across a very solid, rust free, original 1948 olds dynamic 66 series sport coupe. i would like to buy and restore it. is there a place you can go to get the original specs on a car like this. i have experience with chevys, and you can call chevy with the vin number for about any year and they will send you a resto packet with everything you would want to know. this car has to be pretty rare because there wasn't but about 9300 of them made and this one is hydra-matic. any help would be appreciated. blueflame in nc

The Olds History Center in Lansing can furnish some information on your car, but I can never remember the address. HydraMatic wasn't that rare on an Oldsmobile, most had it since the Rocket people pushed their invention hard on the sales floor. It's a four speed unit and if working properly will snap your head back when it shifts, even with the 6 cylinder engine. No mushy Dynaflow or Powerglide here.<P>You have an interesting car. Is this the dark grey one that shows up at the Thursday night High Point cruise-ins ever so often?<P>Keep in touch- would like to have you as a Mid Atlantic Olds Club member. Pre-1955 Olds aren't at all common in our group.<p>[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]