Acceleration hesitation

Coco

My 1991 TC runs fine for about 20 miles then stops accelerating and slows to about 10 mph. After resting about an hour or so it again runs fine for about 20 miles before stopping again. Mechanic has put in new fuel pump and filters and blew fuel lines to no avail. He is stumped. Is this problem common to TC's? Does anyone have any suggestions?  PLEASE!

Edited by Coco
Mis spelled (see edit history)

My guess is that it is*still* a fuel delivary problem. New pump *usually* fixes it but I think you still have an issue.  The best way to diagnose it ( or rule out fuel delivary) is to use a fuel pressure gauge that has a rubber line a few feet long so it can be placed (under the windshield wiper works for me, you don't really want it inside the car) so you can see the pressure as you drive and the issue happens. When it starts to hesitate look at the fuel pressure, is it below 50PSI? There are a few other components in the fuel system that aren't ruled out yet. Regulator, dampner, fuel rail, fuel lines, sediment in tank(did car sit a long time?) etc.Heck, new pump could be the wrong pump(has happened to me) could be defective even tho its new(also has happened to me. the fuel line could be loose at the pump fitting INSIDE the tank and be making only partial contact with the outgoing pressure barb(yep, you guessed it also has happened to me:angry:)

• 8 months later...

OK, so my mechanic found that the EGR Solenoid is bad and so just disconnected it. Said it will run fine??? Now I have a bad gas accumulator and am looking for one to give mechanic to put in. Was looking forward to our first TC Rally in Washington in a couple weeks - now looks like we won't be ready for that :(.

Darn...almost close enough to just "run over", but not quite. :(

When you say "gas accumulator", what are you talking about? Are you talking about the charcoal canister in the passenger's side fender? Are you talking about the pulse damper on the end of the injector rail?

BTW, when/where is this get together!? I want to try and join! LOL

• 1 month later...

OK - got the accumulator installed - runs great! But still having trouble with hesitation when accelerating - also just before it happens, at stop light it idles REALLY rough - then after a bit - all of a sudden it smooths out - if I accelerate before it smooths out - II get hesitation. Would really like to trust this car for a long trip. - any other ideas would be helpful