Vintage Olds V8 tech info sought--HELP!

brad54

Hello fellow car nuts,<BR>My name's Brad, and I work for Buckaroo Communications on Super Rod, Street Rod Builder, and several other magazines. I'm currently working on a story on Odd-Ball Engines, and am totally ignorant about Olds motors (do know the J-2 was factory Tri-power, but that's about it).<BR>Could you guys point me in the right direction on who to talk to regarding vintage Olds Rocket engines, speed parts, displacements, years, etc? I'd greatly appreciate any help on locating sources for this info.<BR>And please don't take the odd-ball reference personally--I like Buick Nail Heads myself, and I've got an aluminum Slant Six Mopar engine on the floor in the garage that I go out and get all starie eyed about at least twice a week.<BR>You can e me directly at brad.ocock@verizon.net, and I'll check the posts here.<BR>Thank you very much for your help,<BR>-Brad Ocock<BR>Technical Editor<BR>Buckaroo Communications

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Blownolds

Sounds like you are abount to do the same thing a lot of magazines have attempted to do. The problem is, there is way, way way too much to know. I have been into the '49-64 Rocket engines heavy for 10 years, and know a lot, but am learning stuff all the time. It cracks me up when magazines like Street Rodder and Custom Rodder come out with a series of articles and there is a lot of bad info given as gospel truth! Seriously, in order to get a halfway decent article series, you'd need to find 10 guys who really know a lot about the engines, and then when you get conflicting info, check into it further to determine what the real story is. But don't just interview a couple guys and print the info they give you without triple-checking it. BTW, the FAQ board that was mentioned also has some erroneous info on it as well...