Rebuild a 1927 Dodge Brother 4 Cyl Engine

juanatejeda

Hello all, it's been a while since my last entry and I need some help with our 1927 Dodge Brothers 4 Screen Express (Paddy Wagon).  I have a crak that has come back to haunt us and we need to rebuild an existing block that I invested in years ago (in 1989 or so), during the restoration of our truck. The block came with some misc parts, like pistons, crank and others, but we have never had to really see if it was serviceable. I purchased the block from a, then reliable Dodge Brother Parts distributor out here in California, some of you may remember him, Roy Belcher. Roy passed away years back. Anyway, he looked the block over and assured me that the block was in good shape.  Well it's time for us to find out and we want to rebuild that block.

Here is my problem.  I need to come up with a budget for our Sheriff, so he can try and get funding for it. I have started a Go Fund Me account with the hope that I can raise the money to rebuild this block.  The Sheriff has a possible source, but I need to find out what it's going to cost and I have no one out here that I can get that info from.  Our truck was restored in back in the 80's, bet 1987 and 1990, buy the California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo. It was done by the inmates in their Vocational Education Department, but that program no longer exists, because of funding.  The whole project has been funded, over the years with 100% donations from the community. The truck is a Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department fleet vehicle, registered to Santa Barbara County. The County Garage maintains it for the routine service needs, but there is no budget for major type repairs and over the years I have had to continue to get donations when something comes up. I have been involved with this program from day one, as it was my project. We are in ur 29th year and I continue to take care of the Paddy Wagon, in my retirement.

Anyway. what I need is to put together a good budget to restore/overhaul the existing block that I purchased. A complete list of parts and costs will be need for my presentation. The Sheriff has agreed to get the funding and has said that the "Wagon will ride again."

If anyone can help me with putting this budget together, I would really be grateful. The engine is the standard 1927 4 cal, not the Fast Four. I have attached a few pictures and there should be more pictures of the Paddy Wagon in the Picture File of the Forum.

IMG_1540.JPG

n1067886663_349207_1079448.jpg

Who, or what entity, owns the title to the vehicle?

If it's an individual, then I really don't think GoFundMe, or asking for such money,  in other words asking for other people to pay for the work on the car, is appropriate.

If it's an organization, then they should be able to do some fund raisers to get the money flowing.

Nice car, wish you well,  hope you can figure it out..

Hello,

Did not mean to upset anyone.  This truck does in fact belong to the County of Santa Barbara, it is part of the fleet of police vehicles, but it was a project that, from it's conception, funded with 100% donations from the public sector back in 1987-88. The vehicle was an abandon vehicle destined for the wrecking yard when I found it and it was a compete rust bucket. I saw a future in it as a vehicle to be used for Crime Prevention  programs within the county. I approached our then Sheriff with my idea and after doing a little research I found that the county actually used these vehicles in the 20's as a Jail / Paddy Wagon.  With the Sheriff on board we approached the County Board of Supervisors and they approved the project, with the understanding that it would be done, but no budget would be approved and would have to be done with donations. I too on the project and collected sufficient funds and with the help of the California Men's Colony in San Luis Obispo's, Vocational Education Department the restoration was done and competed.  The county supports the program by maintaining the vehicle as a fleet vehicle, but only with routine maintenance and has done so over the last 29 years.

If you read my entry, I am not asking for donations, I was just explaining what we are doing and what my needs are, and I will reiterate, I need to put a budget together to submit for funding of this new project to keep the Paddy Wagon alive.  Just need some input on what the costs will be so that I can submit a budget for funding.

I happen to agree with you, and have always felt that the County and the Sheriff's Department should fund the program, but with governmental budgets the way they are, these programs are all but gone and without assistance from the outside they will be lost. Again, I'm not asking for donations, I will take what ever I can muster up, but I'm not asking anyone here to donate money.  I will tell you that my very first donation came from the Horseless Carriage Club of America, back in 1987.

I hope you understand where we are. Just trying to hold on to this wonderful vehicle that has brought so much good will to our law enforcement agency over the last 29 years.

Thank you.

Juan