If I could I would own a .....

I would like to own aPackard Darrin. I think the have the true classic Packard styling, and look lik ethey are going about 80 mph standing still. What is the Packard you would buy if you could?

I would own one that was never made, but if I had the money I would make it. A Packard Request "convertible". Barring that a Black and Pink (only) 55/56<BR>Carribean.

" IF I COUILD OWN A....."<P>I'd always hungered for a '35 Packard Twelve limo..trouble was...when I finally wised up and realized my '34 Super Eight sedan just didn't have enough power at extreme speeds....it was too late...the Classic Car Club Of America had arrived on the scene, and values and prices had gone thru the roof. I did get a good price for my sharp '34 Super Eight sedan (a hundred bucks)....but no way in the world could I get enough cash together to get an equally sharp '35 Twelve limo.<P>Sooo...life is compromise...had to settle for the much less desireable lines of the 1938 Packard line. <P>Did I pay too much...probably...because the '38 V-12 Formal I bought wasn't THAT sharp...and...besides...needed a battery...so...yeah..you guys are right...at twenty five bucks..I probably over-paid. <P>( My parents thought I was NUTS...couldn't understand why I had to get that "ugly old thing"...when they were willing to GIVE me a "nice" car.....a then late model Plymouth...Pontiac.......something that I would NOT be ashamed to go out with a girl in....)<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs AZ

I would have to go with a 56 Caribbean hardtop as my #1 favorite. Until that gets in the price range, I would be very happy with a 56 Clipper or Executive hardtop. Can't beat those taillights! Just ask any of the 50's customizers. I'll have to agree with the Darrin models also. Really like the 55-56 400's too. What class!

I'm happy with my 1404 Club Sedan, but would also like to have a 1932 Twin-six, 4 door convertible. As for post war cars, I like the 55' Caribous convertible. But if I had to pick one and only one car, I would go with a 1910 Apperson Jack Rabbit. grin.gif" border="0

Caribous? In West Texas they are called a Car-bean, which is different than a Car-bine, which is a gun. No body has mentioned the 1934 LeBarons. If I could have one car...

John :<P>You puzzled me with your term "second generation twelve"..... ? ? ? What do you mean..? What are you referring to..?

When I was searching for my next Full Classic last fall, high on the list was a 1934 Packard Super Eight Convertible Victoria. Unfortunately I didn't find one in acceptable condition or price. I wound up with a 1932 Cadillac. In a few years I'll probably start searching for my next Full Classic. Maybe I'll snag the Packard or maybe a 1937 Cord Supercharged Phaeton. I almost bought it rather than the Cadillac.

The three packards from the 30's I would own. A 1934 Sport Coupe and 1934 Sport Phaeton done by LeBaron styling by Alex de Sakhnoffsky. Also a Convertible Victoria done by Waterhouse.

Unregist. NO...I do NOT know what he meant. I was not trying to be "cute"...I was just trying to figure out what the guy was talking about.<P>Let me explain why I think you were confused by my question....then YOU will explain why you felt it necessary to butt in with a smart-alec response...<P>Apparently you are not aware that there were SEVERAL generations of the Packard Twelve. There were also several generations of the twelve cylinder car Packard produced in a prior decade, which they called The Twin Six ( I have never seen any indication Packard, during the Twin Six era, (1914 thru 1923) referred to the TWIN SIX as a "Packard Twelve". Two different eras...VERY different technology...and EACH had "generations" or stages of advancement.<P>Complicating the issue is Packard's use of the descriptive term "Twin Six" for the FIRST generation Packard Twelve, introduced in 1932. <P>The "SECOND GENERATION" Packard Twelve came out in 1935, different from the earlier Packard Twelve in several crucial areas. <P>First and most important, "insert" type connecting rod bearings and a MUCH improved chrome moly connecting rod, made effortless extreme speed operation possible without risking a connecting rod failure.<P>Secondly, there was an increase in stroke, going from 440 cu. in to just under 480. This gave the "2nd Generaton Packard Twelve" considerably more "grunt" thru-out the power band, but especially noticeable "off the line". <P>Finally, there was the much improved "three point engine mount", requiring a whole new front-end casting for the power-plant.<P>Going back to the Twin Six, the FIRST generation, coming out in 1914...did not have detachable cyl. heads. I no longer recall when the SECOND generation Twin Six came out, (guessing it was about 1916), but it had the more modern "detachable" type cyl. heads.<P>So you see...I was confused. My mistake...I forgot for the moment that most of you know about the "golden age" Packards only from books, seeing them from a distance at car shows or perhaps some mis-information from some guy who bought one cause he thinks it is "cool" to have a costly piece of costume jewelry to display at cocktail parties....<P>Pete Hartmann

Sorry about the spelling on the Caribbean, my tongue was covering my eyetooth and I could not see what I was typing. grin.gif" border="0

O.K...I'll "bite"...what is so terrible about asking him what he means by "second generation Twelve"....?<P>Pete Hartmann