Debating whether or not to 'mod'

Guest theok

Good evening, 

I have a 1971 350sl mercedes-benz. It generally drives very well the fuel consumption is a little painful, whenever i turn left i hear this 'clicking' noise and there is some rust but other than that its perfect. However, i have seen that there are many for sale and very cheap as well so there is no antique value and i would like to mod it a bit (coilovers if possible and better breaks) but im not sure.

I would really appreciate your opinions on whether or not i should and if you know what that clicking noise is.
Thank you in advance. 

20160921_234832.jpg

c325ddc3e9d35d57cabe839165026cf3.jpg

The first thing I would do is have a well trained MB technician, either at a dealers shop or an independent shop, find the problem that is causing the clicking noise.  They should also be able to advise you on the modifications you are considering.  I don't believe MB had inferior brakes, but perhaps yours need new pads, rotors and bleeding.  You may also have brake calipers that have sticking pistons and need rebuilding.  As for the suspension, I would leave that information to a professional.  If you plan to show this car in AACA judged meets, be careful of modifications and keep it in "as delivered" condition, or enter it in DPC.  It would also make a great HPOF class car.  Whatever you decide to do, make certain it is safe and inspected and enjoy driving it.

5 hours ago, Eric Wahlberg said:

The first thing I would do is have a well trained MB technician, either at a dealers shop or an independent shop, find the problem that is causing the clicking noise.  They should also be able to advise you on the modifications you are considering.  I don't believe MB had inferior brakes, but perhaps yours need new pads, rotors and bleeding.  You may also have brake calipers that have sticking pistons and need rebuilding.  As for the suspension, I would leave that information to a professional.  If you plan to show this car in AACA judged meets, be careful of modifications and keep it in "as delivered" condition, or enter it in DPC.  It would also make a great HPOF class car.  Whatever you decide to do, make certain it is safe and inspected and enjoy driving it.

Thank you for replying, unfortunately where i live it is pretty hard to find a good technician that you can trust. However, you do make a lot of sense and ill try and find the most reliable MB technician and see what he believes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 3:23 AM, Rockingchairmotors said:

Looks like a nice car. Are you in the U.S.?   Is it a U.S. model or a Euro model?  4 Speed by any chance? 

1971 is the first year and is getting tougher to find in the U.S.

I would leave the car stock and I agree with what Eric said.   I have 2 '71 350SL 4 speed cars. 

Sorry for the late reply. I am not in the U.S. im in Greece and its a Euro model and a 3 speed. I was told by my grandfather who bought it when it came out that it was a '71 but i am not 100% sure because of the tailpipes which are sort of turned downwards but they could have changed the muffler from a later model. I have also concluded that stock is best since it is still really nice to drive and hasn't caused me any problems. The only thing i am considering doing is adding/converting to lpg since gas prices here are crazy (1.5 euros per lt) and if i dont i wont be able to have it as a daily driver.  However, i am scared that adding lpg might cause problems such as ruining the engine. What do you believe is it safe? 
p.s. my antenna is at the rear of the car and from what i have noticed most 350sl's have it next to the windshield 

Edited by theok (see edit history)