1924 6 cyl water pump packing

I am reassembling the water pump for my 1924 6 cyl motor. The (2) seals for the water pump portion are typical packing glands that require graphite impregnated material, which when compressed by the packing nut will fill the space between shaft and inside of the housing to hold a seal. I had some old stock preformed graphite inserts that fit both the shaft and the bore perfectly.   The third seal gland is at the large bushing in the forward support casting. This one is a little confusing to me.  There was gasket or packing material on a shoulder inside the nut, which would keep oil from leaking thru the threads, but will it still leak thru between nut and shaft ?  or am I missing something ?  The packing nut covers what looks like an oil slinger with a spiral groove cut into the outside diameter, which does not look very effective at stopping oil flow. 

is this seal just one of many locations that drip oil on the garage floor ?  

Kevin
BCA # 47712

1924 6 cyl water pump.jpg

graphite packing.jpg

water pump fwd casting.jpg

water pump fwd packing.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, that's the Oil Inlet. The other thing is not exactly a slinger. The spiral is meant to work, or direct, the oil that has come through the bearing back towards the bearing. From there, the oil is supposed to flow back into the engine via the oil return hole, (red arrows). Whatever packing or gasket there is in that gland nut, it should not impede that return flow of oil or you'll have a mess. I wouldn't use packing in there. Just a gasket.

Capture.JPG

Edited by JerryVan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If your shaft is pitted, as it looks to be, you'll never have an effective seal there. The rough shaft will always carve up the packing causing a leak. By the way, packing glands like this were never meant to seal 100%. A small bit of seepage is actually beneficial to the life and effectiveness of the packing. It keeps the packing cool and lubricated. Too often folks see a small drip hanging at the packing nut and immediately tighten things up. Doing that will quickly use up your packing.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1