idle chat

Steve Brown

I've mentioned to several of our former CC Pac room chatters that while this format is great for info we are missing a lot of the personal stuff that was on the old page. From updates about Randy and Craig's cats to Kevin's new house and Keith's junk yard finds. This kind of stuff was also an integral part of the Hudson and Kaiser rooms in the old system. Am I the only one sorry to see this stuff gone the way of Pack, Stude, etal.?

Guest Randy Berger

Steve, you are certainly right - this is not close to being a chat room and the personal touches that made you feel you were getting to know someone have disappeared. I can't define it - maybe the spontaneity is missing??

I agree. The one thing that would help, is if we could get the chats at least for this thread in reverse order with newest first, because if this one gets used alot eventually we are going to have to read thru a ga-billion posts to get to the latest.

An "idle chat" thread is a great idea. An alternative to "most recent first" order down the page is to extend the front page option of "show topics in last XX days" to also filter the posts in the thread to that same time frame (it doesn't now... I tried it). Personally, I like reading the posts in chrono order because the "conversation" makes more sense that way. Also, someone new to the chat may want to read the many posts entirely because they find the topic and discussion interesting.

Good idea Steve, and speaking of "idle", we are again today since the third day in a row of rain persists. But we are up in the garage and I have just completed a door-activated under-the-dash light for the Studebaker, which has the dome light but it was not connected to a door jam switch, and I was able to perfectly fit a generic switch I have had for years. We see on ebay that the '54 convertible just southwest of here did get a bid of $7000 but $3k short of what the guy wants for the $2500-4000 car. The bidder seems to go after miscellaneous cars when we searched his current bids. I'll bet after three days of rain, that car is plenty wet inside today.

Guest Kevin AZ

Al K. A 'ga-billion'? I sorta thought would be closer to a 'zillion ga-billions', plus or minus a few McTillons! I shared with SteveB that I really miss the personal stories of our normal day to day life or activities. Heck, yesterday, my younger son & I changed out his rear brakes on his 84 Toyota. The car even stop correctly when we were all done!<P>BTW, my pop in law & I will be driving to Seattle and back starting on 9/5. Intentions are to bring some old Packard parts back with us. I have yet so actually see that 55 senior bumper I bought of ebay late last year. It's been residing at my pop in law's brother's residence since purchase. <P>The pop's brother is the fella up in Seattle that owns a '40 160 coupe, '42 160 convertible, '47 Super Clipper & '55 Carribean, all in number 2 condition! I'm hoping to drive one of them when we get there. Hell we may even try to see the mariners play while there. I think the Orioles are in Seattle then.

Second week of rain here in Dallas and sixth week of on exterior house restoration (aka painting, but really more than that). My poor Clipper "Alberta" is lanquishing the garage. But I dare not let her out into the zoo that used to be my yard. Too many workmen with too many tools. Forecast: It's going to be a cold winter, boys. Last year at this time if was 111 in Dallas and we aren't getting out of the 80s these days.

Guest Randy Berger

Steve, interesting you named your Packard "Alberta". Do most of you folk name your cars? and do you choose male or female names?? <BR>Everyone in my crowd always referred to "The Big P" whenever I pulled in (although I've heard rumors they were really talking about the driver). I thought it was because there was a Pontiac and also a Plymouth in the group - could have been mistaken.

Randy:<BR>You have just had you car named<BR>"The Big 'P'" I could not think of a better one than that. I don't know about the rest of this crowd but my wife and I have names for all of our cars except for the new 55 Pat. and a 62 Dodge Dart that is in the works.<BR>My 55 = 'THE BLACK DUKE' Her 51 = "THE DUCHESS" My 65 Dodge Dart GT Ragtop = "THE PALE RIDER" Her 64 Dart Ragtop = "LIL DARLIN" (a definite southern belle), and my 64 Dodge Dart GT Ragtop Custom = "THE COPPERHEAD". Gender is usually determined after purchase and work. It's something you get a feel for. Make any sense?? Hell no, but then does this hobby make any sense? I got the answer to that the month we had a foreign exchange student from Spain with us. We took him to the AACA Nationals in Huntsville that year. We then sat him down and explained what we do, how we do it, why we do it, what the cost for it is, and what the reward and/or payback for it is. If you don't think that was an eye opener....... try it sometime.

Our Manhattan had a name when we got it, but we changed it to and rarely ever refer to it as that anymore, as "the Green Machine." The Big Pat. of course and the rest are just "the Charger" (meaning the '68), "the '70" meaning the '70 Charger, the Super Clipper, the Super Wasp, the HHHH, the Clipper Deluxe, the Special, and the Commander and that's about it for our names.

Guest Randy Berger

I was demonstrating the pushbutton to a friend and showed him how it would not start except in P or N. It started in R, then D, then L, then I went home shame-faced. Determined it had to be the starting relay because I had continuity between the two brown contacts with battery disconnected. Removed cover and someone had bent down the contact adjustment until contacts were always touching. Opened to about .025 and reinstalled relay - car wouldn't start. Hmmm?<BR>cleaned up those standoff discs and around mounting holes - reinstalled and STARTED! Best guess is relay lost its ground years ago and someone just MM'd fix. Never noticed before because never tried to start in other than P or N.

Randy: don't you just hate it when that happens. Usually with me, it's when I am trying to show some young snot nosed kid, who thinks his hyundai has all the bells and whistles, the automatic T-L and after working all day decides to not fucntion right then and there, or it goes down and won't come back up or vice-versa.

I see that ebay has started allowing unidentified bidders when people supposedly want to remain secret. This seems to open things up to all kinds of crookedness. I want to know who outbids me for something. I also see that they are listing many of the cars in the regional kruse auctions on ebay and allowing you to make an "absentee bid." That doesn't seem fair to the folks who actually go to the auction.

Hi, Steve B - no, you're not. A new forum always is a challenge to figure out or get comfortable with, we'll probably learn to love this one. I never knew what happened to the CC room, a friend who used to lurk there turned me onto this site, and it's good to note the posts by "survivors". I'm looking forward to hearing from my previous "winternet" Packard friends. It's been a hectic summer - not much car activity to show for either, but I'm going to a concours next weekend! Yippee!

Steve, i'm not upset with the car as much as i am with myself. When i saw that the overhead was not oiling like a chevy i should have known better and taken action at that point. The Service Bulletins and Counselors r getting to be no help at all and nearly a henderence. There r several that cover the overhead oiling. One says to un-do what a previous bulletinf says to do.<P>Basically, the couinselors and bulletins r just an admission of a problem rather than a definitive fix. I'm learning to use them strictly as a reference and NOT their procedures as a solution. The 'fix' that the bulletins and counselors describe r only a temporary fix to get the car thru warranty or out the door or keep a mechanic busy. Seems like any 'fix' that the SB and SC's descfibe r either incomplete or cause OTHER problems to surface.<P>The Packard V8 engine is plagued with a multitude of marginal problems. All of which CAN be corrected. No one of which, by itself, would ever surface as a malody.

I got back to El Paso Tuesday night, driving in from Dearborn MI. During the 12 days gone, I visited the Indianapolis 500 museum and hall of fame, a real bargin at $3.00 admission and a pre 1910 Packard on display. Made the Auburn auction for about 3 hours on Saturday, several Packards for sale. Went to 2 cruise nights in Ohio, and got the 28' enclosed trailer and 1929 Chrysler 65 roadster ready for the trip. Went to the WP Chrysler Muesum in Auburn Hills MI and say old WP's famous chest of tools. the to Dearboarn and the countries oldest continuous car show (51st annual)nothing newer than 1932. Probably 40 one and 2 cylinder cars there. Three Packards from the late 20's. Did a quick run through the Henry Ford Museum Sunday afternoon as the show got rained out. Then drove back to El Paso. Got the news about the terrorist attack while driving into Oklahoma City. Nothing runs and pulls like a Dodge diesel! Good to be home.

The Kaiser gang went to an unused board ("Classics & Collectibles") at The Auto Channel (www.theautochannel.com) which is a lot like the old CCS but with some of it's own peculiarities. The only operational problem is also like the early CCS where it doesn't purge the messages so the queue is getting too long for a fast refresh. There are other under-used boards on that web site.

Talked to my brother today who is driving back to Dallas from Phoenix. After two days of waiting for the airlines to get back he decided to just come home. Amazingly, Hertz is saying because of the emergency they won't hit him with a drop off charge for taking the car to Texas. He's going to spend the nite in El Paso and come on tomorrow. I think folks will be doing a lot more driving. Not going to be worth the risk or trouble to fly what with the security ramp up and the nuts everywhere.

Also was reading on the AP wire about people from Chicago to Las Vegas who had BOUGHT used cars to drive home. Seems all the rent cars were gone by the time they need so they just purchased a cheap, older car and drove. Four businessmen in Chicago paid a city taxi $3,000 to drive them to LA. The last few years flying has been so burdensome that I've elected to drive to places like NM, CO and S. TX. Bet a lot more folks are going to be hitting the highways in the year ahead.

I have a good old friend who lives here in Las Vegas and was in Atlantic City, NJ on tuesday morn. He already had a rental car so he drove it from there all the way home, arriving tonight. Otherwise, he'd still be sitting in the Newark airport waiting for his plane to depart. This same friend has a cousin who works in the WTC who just happened to be 15 minutes late for work on Tuesday. When he was still several blocks away, he saw the 1st airliner impact. He turned around and went home. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be punctual.

After eight weeks of works the house painters finally say they will be done tomorrow. Great day in the morning. So glad to get those home wreckers off my estate. What wasn't stomped, sprayed or busted is covered with paint dust. But I have to say my new Emerald, Moonstone and White tricolor scheme on house looks grand. First time I ever painted a house to match a car!

you're not alone Steve!!! TV evangelist J. Van-Impe and his wife for several years back in the '80's bought MATCHING new Lincolns EVERY year AND painted the trim and garage door on their house to match, EVERY year. Send him tihes and offerings ... he needs them???!!

Hi Steve <P>I'm here, thanks for asking smile.gif" border="0 Just lurking quietly for a change.<P>My '55 Patrician has had a carb problem that started over a month ago, (it leaks gas, even after it's stopped), so it's safely parked and covered, waiting for me to acrue the funds for the mechanic to diagnose and fix it. Which won't be anytime soon I'm afraid.