20's Buick front fender to running board step bolts

Hubert_25-25

On my 1925 Buick, there are 2 step bolts used to hold the tail of each front fender to the top of the running boards.  Step bolts are like a carriage bolt, but have a less tall but larger diameter domed head.  I would think that the fenders were painted separate off of the car originally.  I have found these from "restoration stuff" in Black oxide finish.  Does anyone know what finish should be on these for this location?   Thank you,   Hugh  

Hugh, the bolts that you are talking about are called 'elevator' bolts.  These bolts on all three of my cars are painted Black as are the fenders.  As far as having a domed head, yes, they have a slight crown to them but not like a regular carriage bolt. Restoration Supply should have the right size of these that you are needing.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

Terry,    Thanks for the note.  Restoration Supply carries both elevator bolts and step bolts.  They are a little different.  Elevator bolts are best for putting a tiny bit of mortise into the wood of the running board, then you have a flat surface when you are done to put the linoleum or rubber running board covering over the head.  I can paint the step bolts separately in gloss black.  Hugh