GTO Restoration

Guest dan

I'm currently restoring an 69 GTO. The shop works on T&M only. The car was clean (3 small rust spots less than 3" and no big dents (only some small dings, creases.) The car is all metal, all original. The disassembly cost 5,500, the media blasting and primer/sealer cost 5,000 and the first stage of block sanding / straightening (right quarter,  roof, and partial left quarter) cost 5,500. I was not expecting to be 16K in at this stage with another 21+ left on the job and I'm not sure if this is reasonable/customary. For example, the straightening and block sanding of the right quarter alone (very straight to begin with 5-7 high/low spots/dings) was billed at 34 hours. The filler was put on in small sections (1'x2' or smaller) and done 3-5 times over. 40K to complete a very clean car with paint/reassembly (no frame off) seems high to me. This will put me in at 60K when I'm done (cost of car and parts). I did no mechanical work at all (the drivetrain was solid). The shop is supplying no parts, I purchased all moldings, interior, trim, weather stripping, glass, chrome, stainless, grills, bumpers, etc.). This job is frame on, body only to paint. Does 38-42K seem reasonable for this type of job.      

Guest dan,

I guess you posted here in the software forum questions forum because it is the only forum that allows a guest to post. That makes me suspect you are having some type of problem with registering on the forum. You probably did not respond to the email to validate your registration. I think you should be able to send me a Private Message. If you will let me know your email address I will attempt to help you get your registration issues resolved so you can post your question in a forum where someone may be able to help you. 

• Like 1