Fuel System on a 1928 BB model

Hi everybody:<P>I am about to work on it but would like to do it correctly, so help would be appreciated.<P>I understand regular cars used a Stewart Warner vaccum tank to suck gasoline and deliver it to the carb, while Blackhawks had three small electric fuel pumps on the chassis, at the side of the engine.<P>I already found a Stewart Warner tank which I will install for the looks only, at least for now. My idea is to have it work as a holding tank only, as the inner parts are damaged and I could not put it to work again, and besides I live on a very hilly place, so vaccum would probably not be the best option I can think of. Mi intention is to leave the electric fuel pump the car currently has.<P>Questions here are:<P>1. I understand it should be mounted on the firewall, over the steering column. On my car, I can see the wholes for holding the tank, but one of them was enlarged and the electric harness now comes through it. Where should the harness come through the firewall?<P>2. Tank has a line comming in at the bottom which I think is for incomming gas, a large one at the top which may be for fuel going to the carb, and two smaller ones for vaccum. Where are these supposed to be hooked to? (at least for the looks...)<P>Thanks,<P>Victor Milke confused.gif" border="0

Victor,<P>The vacuum tank has four openings. The one at the bottom goes to the carburetor. On the top , there is one that connects to the intake manifold to supply vacuum to the inner tank. There is one that connects to the gas line going to the gas tank. There is one that has just a short 2 or 3 inch copper tube that goes up and then does a 180 degree turn that is a breather to the large outer tank. If you send me your email address, I will try to find a .jpg picture of the vacuum tank mounted on the firewall. pughs@pacbell.net

• 7 months later...

DEFINETLY USE A SMALL ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP. I CAN TELL YOU IT IS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE TO MAKE THE VACUME TANK SYSTEM WORK SAFLEY. I HAD A PERFECTLY WORKING SYSTEM ON MY STUTZ AND IT CAUGHT FIRE AND I ALMOST LOST THE CAR SOME YEARS AGO. MAKE IT ALL LOOK ORIGINAL AS IF IT WORKS THOUGH.