Steering Play

Budtee

I have a 1989 8v TC with 10K miles. It feels to me to have some play in the steering.  I replaced the struts and looked over the steering at the time.  The only thing I saw was a little play in the inner tie rod.  Maybe about 1/16".  Is there any adjustment in the steering rack?  I would appreciate any input on this.

1/16" of play in any steering component will give you play. You need to replace that inner tie rod.

As for the tilt wheel issue, if it's the one I'm thinking of where the wheel flops around like a broken video game, you have to take the steering wheel off, the turn signal plate out, and some other things. This does require some special tools, but they aren't that expensive and you can probably rent them from parts stores. Anyway, what happens is that the bolts that hold the tilting part of the column to the mechanism come loose. The best thing to do is take them out, but some Loctite on them and then reinstall them. I had to do this on my '88 Daytona Shelby Z. I ended up taking the entire column out and relubricating the bearings and such inside, too. It took me the better part of an afternoon.