Color Match Issue, 1935 Dictator

Hi Ken.

I can't speak with authority because my '35 Commander is painted black, and always has been.

In his excellent article detailing the resurgence of Studebaker in '33 and '34 in the October 2013 issue of "Collectible Automobile",  Richard Quinn included photos of Chester Bradfield's '35 Commander coupe and photos of Ford Stoecker's  '35 Commander Land Cruiser.  

Chester's car is red and has a black-painted vertical grille.  The horizontal louvers next to the grille and the horizontal louvers on the hood sides are painted red. 

Ford's Land Cruiser shows body color on both the hood sides and the horizontal louvers  on the grille, but I can't tell for sure if the vertical grille is body color or black.  Ford's car (in a frontal view)  is also on the front cover of a past ASC roster, but, again, I can't tell if the vertical louvers are black or body color.  I suspect black.  I've tried to go back through my files of photos to when I had the opportunity to see Ford's car in person, but haven't found any.  Because of the body style, most of my photos are from 3/4 rear. 

Anyway, you  might want to contact either Chester or Ford.  Both their numbers are listed in both current SDC and ASC rosters.

Back issues of "Collectible Automobile"  are available from:

Coolectible Automobile 

7373 N. Cicero Ave.

Lincolnwood IL 60712.  

Regards, Tom

image.jpeg

image.jpeg