Color under dash and in trunk not matching

Guest Bump123trucker

Guest Bump123trucker

I'm looking at a 1955 thunderbird that was supposedly in a container for 30 some years . It's in great shape and the vin code says it's black , but when I laid on the floor and looked under the dash it's an agua looking blue . In the trunk it's showing the same color of blue also where the black paint is worn off.  Is this normal (maybe primer )  . I'm thinking maybe stolen years ago . Body is great condition wise with no rust ot bondo to be seen to the best of my ability.  I actually looked at the same car 2 years ago and agreed to buy until I questioned the paint situation. But now 2 years later it's for sale locally again by the same owner . The vin tag has raised letters and numbers . 

THANKS FOR INPUT !!! 

This post should probably be under the Ford Thunderbird site. My guess is that the car was originally blue. My 1955 had been restored many years ago to red with red/white interior. Upon dis-assembly I found whit under the dash in the trunk and beneath the black paint in the engine compartment. A cross reference to my ID plate on the firewall shows my car was originally white with black/ white interior.

Your data plate should have a code line starting with 40A (Thunderbird body)

Then the next letter is the exterior color code . "T" would be Thunderbird blue. "A" would be Raven black.

Interior trim color is next on that data plate line. "XA" or "A" would be black & white. "XC" or "C" would be turquoise & white.

(I got this information from page 7 of my Hill's Thunderbird Center catalog)

Please let us know what you find.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)

Guest Bump123trucker

That's what concerns me the code on the tag says its raven black but I see a kinds of signs showing it originally may have been blue.

maybe was stolen 30 some odd years ago that's why it was put away ! Thanks for your imput

The Classic Thunderbird Club International (CTCI) has a service where they can provide original (and reprints) window stickers for Thunderbirds. They have some 1955, (unfortunately not mine) and all of 1956 & 1957. If you own the car they might be able to supply you the original colors based on the VIN #.

So you think the vin plate has been swapped out? If so you can check it against the frame vin stamping. From another's post:

Is the VIN also on the frame somewhere? 

1957Birdman : I assume you are aware the serial number (no VIN numbers in 1955) is on the patent plate on the firewall. The serial number that matches the number on the patent plate is stamped on the frame in three places, only one of which is easily available to view. The easily viewed one is on top of the frame on the passenger side underneath the hood. It is about opposite the middle of the engine. It is not normally stamped that deeply into the metal and you may have to use some paint remover to see it.
Do you have reason to belive the patent plate is not original to the car?
Good luck,

• Like 1

I read the last post from mike6024. I went out to my car. I wire brushed the top of the frame on the passenger side and LO! I used a bright flashlight (my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be) and could easily see the number. It looked at the patent plate to verify the match. OH YEAH! Anyway - I found mine easy to read. The number on the frame also has a five point star stamped after the serial number. Thank you Mike6024 and 1957Birdman for that tidbit of information!  Now I hope if the OP can find that number to alleviate his concerns

Original post says he's worried it was stolen and changed. I wonder why so suspicious? Isn't it possible someone used a donor car to rebuild / restore the car? Isn't there any history for the car?

I suppose someone could be just as suspicious of my car. I bought it 41 years ago with intentions of restoration. When I found restoration would absolutely cost WAAAYYY more than I would consider. (it had been converted to 12V and had a 289CID/3speed in it) In the end I would have a car that didn't have original drivetrain and it could never be worth maximum potential. I decided to keep it modified and make it a driver. Life, job & years got in the way. So here I am 41 years later, now retired and just getting started working on the car. If I decided to sell someone could, I suppose, be suspicious of the cars origin.

Edited by fordrodsteven (see edit history)