Delco starter-generator

I have a 1914 Hudson with an Delco Starter-generator combination model MG 31. The generator clutch engages properly at idle speed but releases at road speed -- the input shaft turns but the armature does not turn. Does anyone have any suggestions to correct this problem?

Joe, My first thought is that the armature shaft is broken between the drive gear and the commutator. Thats just a guess, since I don't think your unit has gear reduction. I think I have that same motor/generator at home on the shelf (I'm at work now) so when I get home I will see if mine is the same.<P>Frank

To Oldford, Member #1552<BR>Thanks for your reply. I probably should have been more detailed with the question. I have had the armature out, and it is intact. The problem seems to be with a failure of the clutch itself to stay locked up as rpm's increase.<BR>JOE MORGAN

Joe, Glad to hear the shaft is not broken. Is there anything binding? Could be that if there is, the spring tension is not enough to overcome the binding. The generator that I have is not for your car. It is a model 82 Delco, and according to my books, fits a later Hudson. <P>Frank

To Oldford: Dear Frank<BR>Thanks for your continued interest. Additional details are that the unit was removed and renovated last spring by a friend who has a 1915 Six-40 and who is a really good mechanic. The clutch was opened and lubricated. At the time everything appeared to look OK. First tour, after about 80 miles, the clutch started rattling just before slowing to a stop. I pulled the unit again and opened the clutch a second time (first time for me). Eveything appeared to be free, and the rollers and springs looked OK grossly, but I did not check the rollers with a micrometer, and I had no way to check the tension of the springs and would have not known how much tension they are supposed to have anyway. I added more lubricant and put it back together. The rattle was cured, but it doesn't stay engaged as rpm's increase. Two suggestions that have been made to me so far are to increse the spring tension and also to put in new rollers .001 larger than current. I want to pull the unit again some time within the next month and am looking for any suiggestions. <BR>Joe Morgan

Sorry Joe, I don't know what more to say. It may be spring tension. If you can remove one of them, try to find another at a hardware store of similar shape and size that is stiffer. If you cant find any, try streching the ones you have. Sorry that I can't be more help.<P>Frank

• 2 years later...

J.T.M.MD. ......Is the starter clutch disengaging properly? This is the over running clutch that gives out the most frequently on these starter/generator set ups. To me it doesn't make any sense that the generator clutch would work at low RPM but not at high RPM. If the starter clutch is hanging up it is turning the system at a higher RPM than the generator input shaft RPM; thus, it cuts out the generator. I have an "L" Lincoln that experienced a starter clutch failure, it was a disaster! The engine RPM after it started spun the armature windings out into the field windings, slicing both to pieces. This failure was caused by lack of lubrication.