1950 Dodge rear axel oil seals and oil washers

I have a shop manual for my 1950 Dodge Coronet.  It shows an oil seal on the pinion gear and oil washers inboard of the wheel bearings.  It doesn't show any oil seals at the wheels.  However, with the brake drum off the car, I can see the oil seal and can read the number from it.  I've looked the number up on-line and it clearly is an oil seal.  My question regards the oil washer.  What is it and how is it extracted?  Should it be replaced whenever the axel is removed for other maintenance?

In a related question, I assume the axel is removed with a slide hammer (an adaptor will need to be fabricated to fit the slide hammer shaft to the axel shaft threads).  Furthermore, I assume the wheel bearing and oil seal come out with the axel. Then, once both axels are out, I assume the differential yoke can be unbolted from the axel housing and easily removed.  Is all this true?  My manual does not explain this process and YouTube videos seem to cover modern rear-end maintenance only.

That all sounds a lot like my 1930 Dodge 8. I used the brake drum as the slide hammer with the nut on enough threads to be useful. My drum is on a taper with a heavy hub and useful for this purpose.

The oil washer is a felt washer in steel housing.

Assuming you have the same arrangement, you have two bearings back to back on the axle. To remove the axle, use the slide hammer brake drum gently. It will pull the outer bearing cup out with the axle and cones. The inner cup will remain in place as will the oil washer. You will need a slide hammer to pull the inner cup and then the oil washer (which will be wrecked by pulling it). Do not pull the oil washer until you know you can get a replacement! I eventually found a NAK brand FC type seal that fits (double lip "rubber" coated).

If you only want to work on the diff., just pull the axles enough to clear the side gears, maybe 6"? Then be careful not to walk into them! The good books show a guide device on the outside to support the axle so you don't drag the rough cast part and the splines through the bottom of the felt and damage it - mine was just heavy cardboard.

In the DC the axle end float is set using shims inside the inner cup. Pulling the cup will probably wreck them.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1