Mr. Chet Krause - Philanthropist - Iola Car Show & Swap Meet Founder - Great Guy Passes

Trulyvintage

I was privileged to meet Mr. Krause many years ago in Iola, WI. 

I picked up a pair of military jeeps & a trailer he had sold. 

I arrived when his office opened - spent coffee time at the conference table with him & some co-workers. 

He showed me his latest project - cataloging state bank issued paper currency. 

Then we loaded - he insisted on helping. 

He gave me a copy of his autobiography. 

Then he was off to the local rest home where he kept a residence for his afternoon nap (he donated generously to having it built). 

I had time so I walked the small downtown of Iola. 

Everywhere I went - everyone had a story to tell about Chet and his kindness. 

I was touched. 

I bought him a gift certificate at a small restaurant he frequented - dropped it by his office on my way out of town. 

I read his autobiography on my way to California to drop off the jeeps & gave it to the new owner. 

What a full & generous life Mr. Krause lived .... :-) 

Story link here: 

@ http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/news/local/2016/06/27/chet-krause-dead- 92/86429498/ 

Jim

• Like 1

Chet and I became good friends when his interest in building an engine and tractor collection kicked in.

It wasn't too long before I was buying pieces for him.

We worked on a lot of things for his various collections: Military, cars, tractors, engines and even a steam engine at one point........which we fired up and drove to downtown Iola to have lunch....... :P

Nothing can describe Chet better than the title of the book about him....... "Just Plain Chet".

I was shocked and saddened when I heard he had passed away....... :( 

Thankfully only about a month earlier he and I lunched together across the street from the office he still maintained.

I know Chet was only kidding about "he wanted the check to the undertaker to bounce.” ........ LOL .......I'm good friends with them too.......they are less than a hundred yards from Chet's office and Chet would never rest if he owed anybody anything.