Early Marine Acetylene Brass Searchlight

Anyone into or know anything about early wooden boat hardware? I just acquired this 6 inch brass Marine gas searchlight and would like to find a value and best place to move it to someone who needs it or would display it. It must be very rare as I've never seen another. I found it's introduction mentioned in a 1907 boat magazine and it was called the 20th Century "Baby Grand" searchlight.  It is marked and was made by the 20th Century Mfg. Co. of NY.

Howard Dennis

lamp 1.jpg

lamp 4.jpg

lamp 5.jpg

lamp 6.JPG

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Hi Howard, it is indeed a small marine style searchlamp. It ran off a separate carbide generator or Presto-lite gas tank that I assume you do not have.  But, you got a neat item, and I'm sure there are some nautical collectors out there who might be interested.  You probably won't find much excitement among antique car collectors, but it is an item of interest to folks like myself who love and collect brass lamps.  It kinda "goes along with" some of the things on display in my garage.   Value really depends on condition at it looks pretty good.  Is the reflecting mirror good?  Is the burner still present? Are there any cracks or dents not showing in the photos?  Would be nice if it was on the base as shown in the ad, but as is I'd say something in the $150 range would be appropriate.  Less of course if the reflector is in poor condition or cracked. Terry

• 2 weeks later...