Adding Electric Fuel Pump

YellowLark

Since my '66 Skylark sometimes is not driven for a week or two, it is hard to start because the carb gets dry.<P>So, I decided to add an electric fuel pump to prime the carb before turning the starter. Have seen advice to do this in various magazines.<P>So, I bought an AC Delco generic pump with a low 2 psi output and installed it on the frame about two feet from the fuel tank.<P>Here's the problem: it pumps fuel OK, but makes a loud thumping noise. After a couple of minutes with the car running, it thumps so loud, I have to disconnect it's power lead. Brought the first pump back to the store, and got a second identical one - same problem.<P>What's going on???<P><P>------------------<BR>

I have one of these on my 1960 LeSabre as the sole fuel delivery. It's a Purolator 7 psi output model. <P>I'm not sure if your's works the same way as mine, but there is a rapping sound from the pump normally. It's irritating, but tolerable. <P>Whe I installed the first one the sound was very bad. I took it back to Pep Boys and exchanged it. The second pump came with plugged connector ends (plastic plugs) and the pump was fill of oil. The guy at Pep Boys said they're always packed that way. My first one was either defective or a return that had dried out. The second one as much quieter.<P>Did your pump(s) come packed with oil in the pumping chamber? If not you may have gotten 2 bad ones in a row.

I have mounted these pumps onto a metal plate using pieses of fuel line or other rubber insulators and then mount the plate to the frame with more insulators. This isolation helps the noise alot. It knocks especially bad when out of fuel, so mount it low so it stays full of fuel even after sitting.<P>If it is just used for priming, you can install a switch so you just run it for priming. It will pass fuel when off just fine.<P>Frank

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I bought one for my '55 from NAPA. About $75, all you hear is a faint hum when it runs. I use it once in a while if I get vapor lock. Fixes it each time. Just run it for 10 sec or so. I also put an in line regulator on, maybe yours is pumping too much psi.<BR>Scott

<BR> You have a "solonoid" type pump as opposed to a "centrifugal" type pump. The motor driven pumps are not as noisey as the solonoid ones, but are probably overkill for the street. The Delco guy told me to wrap the pump in foam insulation and use rubber mounts. There is no need to worry about cooling because the fuel flow carries away the heat. This seemed to help a lot in my application.