Aftermarket Intercooler

I'm looking for an idea on aftermarket intercooler installs. I know my car is going to instantly outgrow it's intercooler within the next upgrade or 2 and I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions. Looking for something that can handle 400hp to be on the safe side. Pics of installs, dimensions from past builds, or any advice anyone has to offer would be nice. I'm trying to make it to SDAC this year in TN and I'll have my intake manifold before then, although I'm unsure if I'll have it in by then. Would be nice if I could get this part of the equation figured out though so feel free to throw suggestions at me. Thanks, Jay

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)

If this vid is real time, watching your car rise and fall explains the industrial strength air ride components, did it improve the handling?

The year before the state built a new road through the shop, we custom turbo'd up an old BMW. We did the conversion and the intercooler came from redpepperracing. They can make you one big enough to do the job and built to fit in space available.

3 hours ago, Digger914 said:

If this vid is real time, watching your car rise and fall explains the industrial strength air ride components, did it improve the handling?

The year before the state built a new road through the shop, we custom turbo'd up an old BMW. We did the conversion and the intercooler came from redpepperracing. They can make you one big enough to do the job and built to fit in space available.

Thanks for the info, I've never considered that. It's pretty much in real time, although after I converted the file format it may be a few frames off. I didn't realize that you anyone had commented on the video, so I deleted it and reposted it in my build thread. As far as handling, It hasn't been on the road since the swap. My goal has been at very minimum getting the front air ride working and car being to the point where I can start the tune. I'm getting close every time I pick up a tool tho. I'm going to copy and paste this in my build thread. JS

I am going to go with an Air-to-water set-up from FrozenBoost more than likely. The fronts of these cars don't lend themselves to a FMIC, plus I want it to look as "factory" as possible. I am either going to mount it where the stock side mount is, or in between the turbo and the throttle body above the transmission. It looks like the entire set-up will be ~$400...give or take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reaper1 said:

I am going to go with an Air-to-water set-up from FrozenBoost more than likely. The fronts of these cars don't lend themselves to a FMIC, plus I want it to look as "factory" as possible. I am either going to mount it where the stock side mount is, or in between the turbo and the throttle body above the transmission. It looks like the entire set-up will be ~$400...give or take.

Imma look into AWC. First it was E-85 or Meth, now it's a whole other thing with the I/C. If only there was enough money to have it all. Imma take some measurements and if it looks like one of the IC's I have won't work, I'll have to scrape together some type of budget to make all this happen.

For 15 or so years every time I've stumbled across and eclipse/Laser/Talon turbo in the J yards, I've grabbed the teeny  little Intercooler from the passenger wheelwell.  By it'self it's a joke, cut the cores out  and use 3" aluminum pipe tubing split in half and it's a perfect top and bottom end cap. Weld two cores together it's a GOOD intercoolerZ(I have that in Woody), compact, thick, with short vertical rows.  Weld there cores together and its a GREAT intercooler.   Guess what, three cores welded up fit PERFECTLY in the nose of any TC, ever noticed the loovers in the lower spoiler?  Theres a whole lot of nothing right behind those. Three of my TM's have the triple Talon IC's.  So not sure where we heard that the front end of a TC doesn't have room for an IC but that's 180 degrees from what I've found.  Now not everone is gonna have the parts or tools to make that work BUUT, a nice compact, long, short vertical flow IC from the aftermarket will fit behind the loovers without a struggle. Frozenboost  air to water IC is proven, is cool, it works, it's compact but in this man's opinion, ugly.  Like a giant wart underhood.  I had to battle with my fab guy to NOT put one on RedBox(yeah, you TM guys know what I'm talking about, anyone else that's curious turbo-mopar.com  search the term RedBox)

I suppose you have a point there about the space behind the louvers. Part of the reason I was thinking of putting the AWIC in the "stock" location is because of how it looks. I would either paint or powdercoat it with wrinkle black to match the factory finishes, not leave it bare aluminum. That certainly doesn't match the car at all. I guess my other worry was how much frontal area there *doesn't* seem to be with the TC regarding airflow to the radiator, etc. Although it is very well controlled, much better than any TM.