Fan Clutch for 62 Special V8

Russelld58

I fought that battle 2 or 3 years ago with a '62 Special. The fan clutches for A/C-equipped cars are just about unobtainable. I finally found an N.O.S. one from a guy (whose name I dont' recall) on the 1961-63 Special & Skylark Yahoo discussion forum, and I bought one of the last two he had for $125. I have one new one here in a Buick box, but I think it fits the full sized 1962 cars. It is 7 inches in diameter and 2-1/4 inches deep. If you have your old one, compare it to that. The latter measurement is the critical one because there isn't much room between the fan pulley and the radiator on those Specials. None of the national chain auto parts stores carried this part three years ago. Your best bet may be a used one from a salvage yard. The best old car salvage yard I have found is Bud's Salvage in Aline, Oklahoma. They have 4,500 cars going back to the 1940s and their prices are reasonable and they will ship anything that fits in the U.S. Mail.  800-375-BUDS is the phone #. And don't limit your search to 1962 Specials; the 1961-1963 Specials and Skylarks, plus the 1961-1963 Oldsmobile F-85 and Cutlass use the same fan clutch if they have factory A/C.

You also ought to post this in the Buick Buy/Sell section, rather than here.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)